Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

10/06/14- My First Hello From Mada!

October 6, 2014 
Salama fianakaviana sy ireo namako ireo!
Firstly, thank you all so much for your support and prayers. They all mean so much to me, and please believe me when I say that I have felt their help. You all are the best friends anyone could ever ask for, hands down.
Secondly, Madagascar now has a new missionary by the name of Elder Snell! I arrived in Madagascar safely and soundly this last Wednesday, and have now begun to work our new area (called Andranamadio). This is in Tamatave, one of the provinces outside of Antananarivo, and a port city on the middle-eastern coast of Madagascar. Apparently this is the second hottest place that missionaries go in Madagascar, so we will see how this works out. It is super awesome here though. It is SUPER poor, as you will soon see in some of my pictures. I have already been so humbled to see the abject impoverishment that these humble people live in. The nicest house I have seen thus far is a two story house made solely from cement, and with the furnishings that we would associate with an extremely lower class person living in a shack on the side of the road. And this person is considered filthy rich out here. It is absolutely mind boggling, the kind of poverty that is present everywhere you look out here. 
Anyway, things are going quite well out here though. The people are so humble and receptive to the gospel. I mean, just the other day Elder Christiansen (my trainer/companion) and I went tracting, knocking on every door we came across. And to my surprise, all of the doors but two let us in to share our message. I was blown away. I thought maybe like one or two would let us in, but almost all of them??? Wow... What an incredible blessing to the Lord to have these wonderful people here, simply waiting to receive the gospel. 
Anyway, I had better wrap it up here. My mom told me that she already sent out my testimony in a previous email, so I wont burden you all with a long thing that you have already heard. :)  Hopefully it will suffice to say that I simply now know without a doubt that I am doing the Lords work. I am where he wants me to be. And I know that he is there helping me every step of the way.

Sincerely,
Elder Snell
This our plane from London to Johannesburg, which was a MASSIVE Airbus A380.

View from the mission home in Antananarivo.

This is a picture of me, my trainer Elder Christiansen, and two other missionaries.

Picture of our kitchen (which is as dinky as it looks, but whatever, it is probably fine)

Picture of a cute little lizard I found in our apartment, and now I see several daily (yes, mom, in our house)

Picture of our district eating out at one of the nicest restaurants (called hotelys) in the city.

This is one part of our area in Tamatave.

This is another portion of our area.