Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Monday, January 19, 2015

01/19/15- And This I Know...

Manakory aminareo avy amin'ny tanin'ny orina be! (Hello to all of you from the land of much rain) That is the real story of this last week. Rain, rain, and more rain! Actually, last night as I was riding my bike home, we came across a spot in the road that apparently is lower than the rest, and had completely flooded due to rain. Yes, I had my rain jacket on, but a rain jacket doesn't do much when the road is flooded up to my knees... So, needless to say, I came home pretty wet last night. And to top it all off, the power was out. Again. So, I slept last night smelly, wet, and sweaty (as it was about ninety-five degrees in our house until the power came back on). But who am I to complain. I don't live in a wood hut. I have shoes, socks, nice pants, and a nice rain jacket that actually works. Just with those few things that we may take for granted, I have more possessions than 99% of the entire population of Madagascar. Just think on that for a second...

Anyway, as for my amazing mother's questions: only one, and that is to talk about some of our teaching appointments. So, I'll walk us all through what a normal teaching appointment consists of. First, we come up to the door, knock, and yell "Odio!" (pronounced oh dee oh) as that is a cultural thing they do here (like a verbal knock on the door almost). Then, when (or rather, IF) they let us in, we usually talk for a while just about little things here and there, making small talk to help break the ice. Then we say an opening prayer, and start in with the lesson, usually beginning with a review of what we learned last time to make sure they remember the key points, as the previous lesson usually sets the foundation for the current one. So, if they don't remember the previous lesson, we change our current lesson to a complete review of the previous one. But, we then go through our lesson, trying the best we can to bring the Spirit into the lesson, and then, end with our testimonies and a prayer. In Preach My Gospel, missionaries are counseled to end with a kneeling prayer, led by the head of household. We try to always have the head of household lead the closing prayer, but we almost never kneel. Why? There is usually not enough room on the floor in the entire house for us to kneel... It is quite humbling, teaching in houses that are smaller than my old bedroom, which (according to my OLD opinion) was quite small to begin with. But anyway, that is our usual pattern of teaching someone. Almost all our lessons follow that sequence of events, with some variance with regards to the lesson topics, people, and situations.

But, as for stories this week, you all have already heard my encounter with flooding in the streets. That was quite fun, and my pants and shoes are still soaking wet. But, tsy maninona (no problem). At least I have some. But also, on a lighter note, I learned something new this week, other than spiritual insights and new Malagasy words. I learned how to put chickens to sleep. Yep. I can put almost any chicken to sleep in about one minute now. Some pictures will be sent, so you all can see that--as funny and comical as this sounds--I am completely serious. It's a new talent that I have developed, and maybe will be able to demonstrate it on my grandma's chickens when I get home. But anyway, that's all that is really knew with me that has happened over this past week.

This next week may be a little bit crazy, as they are making some emergency transfers, as a Malagasy Elder who was serving in London just had his visa expire, so (this is the plan) he will come here, they will split the Mangarivotra and Andranomadio areas again, and Elder Bowler and I will become a normal companionship in Andranomadio, while Elder Godfrey and the new Malagasy Elder will work in Mangarivotra. So, needless to say, this week will be fairly hectic. Wish me luck. :P

Now on a more spiritual note. This last week I have been thinking a lot about what my life would be like if I didn't know what I know, about the church and the things to come and whatnot. And honestly, the biggest thing that comes to my mind about that life that I would have is that I would be scared out of my mind. Not knowing what was going to happen to me, to my family, to my friends, to everyone I know and love... That would scare me beyond words. I can't imagine what it is like, thinking that this life is all we've got and then everything just ends when we die; your relationships, your knowledge, your family, your own personality that you've developed, and even yourself: all of that, gone in one fell swoop. And then after that, in your mind, all those things that make you who you are, cease to exist. This life can't be all for nothing; going through everything that we do in this life, suffering trials and hardships, feeling the greatest joys and happiness possible, and then having it just be over. This may be my opinion, but I have had many experiences that back my opinions up. The little miracles that occur in my life; the little feelings of hope, peace, and comfort; the things that I am able to do that would not be possible without help from some other source. All these things combine to create the resolution, knowledge, and testimony that I now have. A testimony holds up in a court of law; why shouldn't it hold up with regards to religion? But, those things that I have experienced and felt have created the person I am today, and shaped my knowledge of what is the truth, and is as follows:

I know that God lives. I know that He is our Father in Heaven, and He loves us more than we can comprehend. If we ask of Him in faith, willing to act on what we receive, He will give to us what we are in need of. I know for a fact that we will live again after we die, and we will see our family, friends, and everyone that we care about again. If someone has died that you know, I promise that you will see them again. I also know that this life is a time of testing for us, and that if we try our best, and do what we can here in this life, then we will obtain our full potential, which we learn from the following words; "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together." (Romans 8:16-17) If we suffer with Christ. So, if we TRY, if we do our best, then we will be glorified TOGETHER with God and Christ. And that is the most comforting promise of all; we aren't just the creations of some all-powerful being who wants us to worship him. We have a Father who loves us, and created us to be able to receive joy. "For this is my work and my glory, to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." That's God's goal for us. Eternal life, eternal happiness, even eternal joy with those we love most. This is my testimony to all of you, that I know these things are true. I KNOW they are true, and it is not just a feeling. It is a culmination of experiences, impressions, and inspirations that have combined to create this knowledge in me. I echo the words of Elder Jefferey R. Holland: "What was once a tiny seed of belief for me has grown into the tree of life, so if your faith is a little tested in this or any season, I invite you to lean on mine. I know this work is God’s very truth, and I know that only at our peril would we allow doubt or devils to sway us from its path. Hope on. Journey on. Honestly acknowledge your questions and your concerns, but first and forever fan the flame of your faith, because all things are possible to them that believe." Or, in the words of President Uchtdorf; "Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith." This is my testimony and my challenge to all of you this week. I know these things for myself, and because of that, I know all of you can know for yourselves as well. That is my invitation to you all; find out for yourself. I promise you all that if you look for an answer, you will find it.

Until next week and with love,
Elder Hyrum Snell


A picture of me walking down a path with water up to my knees-ish, which is actually one of the shallowest areas of that particular path we were on.

 The chicken that I put to sleep and placed in the crook of a tree.

The chicken that Elder Bowler put to sleep.
A beautiful butterfly.

Fabio, a member who helps us.

A picture of Fabio and me.