Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Monday, April 13, 2015

04/13/15- Trust God and Get to Work

Faly miharaba antiska ny tenako androany, ary ny anarako dia Elder Snell amin'ireo izay mbola tsy mahalala izany. Androany tiako ny hijoroako ho vavolombelona momba ny herin'andro vao lasa. I thought I'd begin this email with the way that every Malagasy uses to begin their testimony. The translation is as follows: "Myself is happy to greet all of us today, and my name is Elder Snell to those which are not knowledgeable of that. Today I would like to bear my testimony about the past week."

So, that is what I will do. But first, even before the questions, I'd like to make a shout out to Gunner Francom, called to serve in the best mission on the face of the planet, a.k.a. Antananarivo Madagascar, speaking Malagasy!!! Can't wait to see you out here in the field, Gunner! It'll be great.

And now, we've got some questions: firstly, the best part of this last week. That would have to be farming germanium with our investigators last Tuesday morning. That was very fun, and I also learned some important skills about farming germanium, in case I ever get interested in doing so later on in life. At this point, I'd consider myself quite mahay (good, proficient, etc.) at farming, seeing as Ambositra is mostly a farming town.

Secondly, the hardest part of the past week. That would probably be yesterday at church. Here on the mission--at least for me personally--church is very tiring. Firstly, we as the missionaries do a lot of the work for the church. And then secondly, it is the hardest thing in the world trying to get our investigators to come to church. Some of our most diligent investigators just never come. We ask them constantly, and it just never happens. We pray, we invite, we teach, and we bring the spirit of the importance of church. But sometimes our investigators (and members, for that matter) just don't want to come. So they don't. And that, thus far, has been the hardest thing for me on the mission. And as far as how I've been overcoming those feelings of disappointment goes, that would mainly just be keeping an eternal perspective. The church has only been here in Ambositra for five years. It literally is like a newborn child here, barely learning how to walk. I can't expect it to run before it can even walk right. God doesn't expect more than is possible, and so neither should I.

And that actually ties in with the last question, which asks about the one aspect of the gospel I've come to understand more fully on the mission. God will never expect of us more than we can give. He will always push us to our absolute maximum capacity, in order for us to grow and learn, but He never asks more of us than is possible. Of course this life is hard, and of course there is a lot that is asked of us, but that is because we are stronger than we give ourselves credit for. We can accomplish incredible things, especially with God's help, and those incredible things are what is asked of us to do. But that is the key aspect: God will always help us. And, after all, He is the creator and ruler of the entire universe and everything in existence. So, needless to say, nothing is impossible for us. If it is God's will, we can accomplish all things. He asks of us great things, because He knows that if we work with Him, they will be accomplished. That's one thing that I have seen on a daily basis here in the mission field. I would not be able to dedicate my mind, my time, my efforts, and everything I have, for two years, all for the work of salvation. I just wouldn't be able to do it on my own. BUT, God is there helping me. He has asked much of me, and with His eternal help, I will be able to accomplish all that He has asked.

I know without a doubt that God helps us with the things that He has asked of us. Let us all remember Nephi 3:7, and the fact that the Lord will not command us to do anything that is not possible, and that does not already have a path prepared for us to accomplish His commandments. So, let us put our trust in God and get to work. Anything and everything that we have been asked to do IS POSSIBLE, although it may be hard, challenging, and oftentimes outside our comfort zone. God will always help us with everything that we need to do. I know that is true. So, all in all, trust in God, and get to work. He will help you, and you will accomplish greater things than you ever thought possible, and change lives (yours included) in the process.

Thank you all for everything you do and the wonderful emails you send me everything. You are truly the best friends and family anyone could ever ask for!

Am-pitiavana be (with much love),
Elder Snell

My mamboly with our investigators Liva and Olga (farming that is). We farmed some pretty good germanium, and I'd like to say that I am now pro.


A picture of Laure (we call her Mama) who is the branch president's wife in Anjoma, singing some old Malagasy children's songs.

Selfie at the cyber

A picture of the cyber