Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

01/05/16- The Biggest Blessing of 2015...My Mission!

Hey everyone! Tratry ny taom-baovao o, ary samy tratry ny ho avy isika jiaby e! It's been so good to hear from all of you this past week and to see how good everyone is doing. I hope that everyone is doing as well as they seem, because everyone looks great. As far as things out here in good ol' Madagascar, I'm doing well. The work is good, and I'm really enjoying everything at the moment. Some crazy things have happened this last week though, so I will be sure to fill you in with regards to that news. I'll do that at the same time as answering my mom's questions though, as those are very important. Obviously. :)

So, first off: transfer news. I am staying here in Tamatave! But, as far as my companion goes, that's where things get complicated. You see, for the past week or so, my good friend Elder Monsen--who is here training Elder Smithson--has been very sick. Like can't get out of bed without getting lightheaded sick. So, President Foote decided that there should be a change made and Elder Monsen will be taken up to Antananarivo this afternoon, and I will be taking over for him in training Elder Smithson. So he is my new companion; Elder Smithson, from southern California. It'll be a great, fun opportunity. I'm definitely looking forward to the wonderful experiences that will surely come.
So that's transfers.

Secondly, one experience that was so awesome this last week was the progression of two of our investigators; Larry and Chantal. Elder Christiansen and I found them back in October 2014, and they have been learning on and off since then. But since I've been working in Andranomadio, we've taught them pretty consistently, and they sincerely desire to be baptized at this point in time. They also are doing better at showing their diligence and both came to church this last Sunday with their little kid, all dressed up. I was so happy when I saw them walk in the door. All other missionaries can attest to the fact that there's not a better feeling than seeing people come closer to God by their own actions. So, as I am moving areas, I will be handing off the teaching responsibility to the Zone Leaders, to progress them to baptism.

For the third question, the things we did for New Year's are as follows: Elder Randrianavalona and I went out and tracted all day, caught a couple of times, tracted into a less active that hasn't com to church in five years, and then went home at about 9:00. Then we planned, showered, and went to bed. And that was our day. I know, very anti-climactic, but you asked Mom. ;) Missionaries don't really celebrate New Years. No reason to. :)

Fourth question: my thoughts on 2015 and what I've been most grateful for. And as far as that goes, this is what I will say: This last year my biggest blessing has been... 60 minutes per hour, about 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days in total just thinking and doing God's work. And that is what I am most grateful for during this past year. I got to consecrate my time and my life for God's work during the entire year of 2015, and do nothing but that work. And that is the most incredible experience of my life until this point. And I'm sure not many things will surpass it. Of course there were lots of great little experiences here and there, bad days and good, hard times and good. But in the long term, those things don't matter much. In truth, what matters most is the fact that I've done my best to do God's work during the entirety of 2015.

And now, last question: 2016. This year. The last year of my mission. The first year of college. Lots of big changes. So my mom asked what one goal is that I have for this year. But I set too many, so I will instead just send all that I can remember. They go somewhat like this:

Read the Book of Mormon twice; once in English, and once in Malagasy
Work out five days a week
Write in my journal at least once a week
Meet a new person every day
Get out of my comfort zone daily
Learn something new daily
And there were several more that I don't remember but I have written in my journal, so I will have to look at those again.

But that is the gist of what I am trying to work for this year. I want to push myself more than I ever have before so that I can become a better, more effective servant of God, whether that is on the mission or back at home. I want to be the best that I can be. 
 
But anyway, those are my goals and plans for this year. And that is how this week has been. I thank you all for being so great and supporting me in all that I do out here. You all are wonderful. I hope this year of 2016 is full of change and growth and blessings for all of you. Make it great!

Am-pitiavana,
Elder Snell

This is Aldo, an investigator that I taught last year

Aldo

Aldo
A bunch of spiders by our house
Elder Monsen and me

More of Elder Monsen
Taxi brousse ride on p-day
P-day with Pres. and Sister Foote at Foulpointe



It's a beautiful place!







Elder Monsen and me

More P-day pics


Me and my new companion, Elder Smithson