Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Monday, February 22, 2016

02/22/16- This Life is the Time to Prepare to Meet God

Hey, how's everyone doing? My mom said that it was fifty degrees back in Utah this week! That sounds pretty freezing cold for me, personally. But I'll mention the weather later. This week was awesome. We didn't teach the most lessons, or get the most proselyting hours that I've ever gotten, but as far as actual fruits of our labors, this week was fantastic.

First off, about my new companion Elder Band. Elder Quincy Amadeus Band is from the eastern panhandle in West Virginia, an hour drive away from Washington D.C. He is a fifth-generation Eagle Scout, is the oldest in his family with two younger brothers, and went to a year of college before the mission to study a forestry major. He is currently twenty one, and things are going well between us!

Second question: progression of investigators with regards to coming to church. This is where we've really seen some great "fruits of our labors". Yesterday at church, we had 17 investigators come to church, as well as 5 less-active members that we have been visiting. Also, the attendance at sacrament meeting went up from 63 last week to 75 this week. So I was way stoked with that turnout.

Thirdly: no Mom, no problems with fleas. Every once in a while, I get mosquito bites, but nothing big.

Fourth question: The weather here in Tamatave is different from the rest of Madagascar. It has been very hot here as of late. Probably averaging high eighties to low nineties, even getting into the upper-nineties on occasion. That may seem decently hot, but then you factor in the 110% humidity (just kidding, it's still way high though) then it is scorching hot! So that's the weather here. Yup.

Fifth question: the thing that stands out most in my mind this week. That would be two things. First of all, this week I started working my hardest to ask God every day to help us find the elect that He has prepared for us in this area. In the past, I've been less than diligent at doing so. But when I started doing so diligently, this last week we have found nine new investigators, all of which are in very kind, receptive father-led families. So that has been an awesome miracle to see. Then secondly, I also finished the Book of Mormon in Malagasy yesterday during studies. And so I followed Moroni's counsel and asked God if the book is true. And I honestly didn't have some crazy ridiculous experience or anything. But just an incredible feeling of peace came over me as I prayed. I asked God, "Is this book yours? Is it your word?" And I just felt comfort and peace, and I can't help but say that I know that that was from God. The Spirit of peace that I felt was from God, and it was Him telling me that the Book of Mormon is His. It is His word. And I know that. So that was one of the biggest things that stood out to me this week.

Lastly, the purpose of this life, according to the teachings of my mission. Honestly, I've learned a lot about the purpose of this life from what I've seen on my mission. And the purpose of this life is quite simple really. As Alma says in chapter 34, it is a time for us to prepare to meet God as someone given agency and responsibility to choose for themselves. Before this life, we were like small children in his presence. But now we have been sent out to live in the world and decide for ourselves what course we want our life to take. If we choose to follow the counsel of our loving eternal parent, then we will return to Him and receive His inheritance and all He has for us, which is eternal life. If we follow Him, learn, grown, and do so until the end, then we will have progressed and followed His counsel to the point where we are able to live with Him again and with our families for eternity in eternal and perfect bliss. But it all depends on how much we are willing to sacrifice our will and follow His.

Anyway, that's about all for this week. Thanks for all you all do, and I hope this next week is absolutely awesome. Make it a great one, or not. The choice is yours!

Am-pitiavagna,
Elder Snell

My African missionary buddies who got transferred out of Tamatave this last week.

Elder Band and me in a posiposy.