Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Monday, December 8, 2014

12/08/14- Missions are Hard, but Worth It!

Efa ho avy ny fetin'i Kristmas! Kay ve! Somary adalladalla izany, sady adalladalla fa za dia efa mipetraka aketo any Madagasikara ho an'ny miakatra volana ananktelo! (Christmas is almost here! )

Wow/ahh! That is kinda crazy, and also crazy that I've already lived here in Madagascar for over three months! It's an interesting feeling being in ninety degree weather and having it be Christmas-time. It's messin' with my head! But it's all good, because I'm getting super tan, and that's good for the pictures I send home (just kidding, I'm not that shallow). Anyway, it was good to hear from you all! I'm glad things are going well for all of you, and that life is still treating you well. I'm glad to hear that the Christmas cheer is alive and well, and I hope you all have an amazing Christmas.
Now, as for questions: We don't really ever eat with members, except with Filoha Paul (the district president) every Sunday. And actually, just last night, one of the Elders threw up right after we finished eating there. So that was interesting. But as for me, not really many food stories (though I have made some granola this past week, which has been heavenly, thank you Mom!). Secondly, our investigators are progressing well. Most of them aren't that mazoto (diligent) but it's getting better. We actually take a while to baptize investigators here to try and up retention. For instance, some of the investigators we have found here and set baptism dates for aren't planning on getting baptized till February. That's just how this mission is. So usually you never baptize the people you find, but only those people which you inherit as you get transfered. Speaking of which, this is the last week of the transfer and I will probably be leaving Tamatave (I am 99% sure). So we will see where that takes me. Anyway, third question, about Skyping at Christmas. We will get to Skype, and it will be sometime around 6 o'clock p.m. here (not really sure what time it will be there, but you can find out easily enough). (Note from Mom: It will be 4 a.m. our time.) And it'll either be Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, or the day after. Not really sure right now, but more info will come next week or the week after. And for the last question, yes, I have already received the Brown's letters, but I forgot to mention it in my email. Sorry! But thank you very much to the Browns for their kind and encouraging words.

Now, for stories this week. I went on a couple of splits with different Elders in our zone: because Elder Christiansen is the Zone Leader, we go on a split with every companionship in the zone once a transfer (six weeks). I went with Elder Turner from Alpine, Utah in my area (Andranomadio), and then Elder Yeagley from Roy in his area (Morarano). Speaking of Elder Yeagley, turns out Grandma and Grandpa Snell hometeach his grandparents, who used to be less-active but were recently reactivated. Crazy! Anyway, those went well, and it's interesting leading an area like I did with Elder Turner. Since it's my area, I lead the lessons, discussions, and such. It gets hard sometimes because I still don't comprehend the language too well when spoken by natives, but that comes with time (or so I've heard :P). But if I get the ghist of the statement, I can usually answer or respond pretty well. That has definitely been heaven-sent help, and I know for a fact that the gift of tongues is true. When I need to be, I am better at Malagasy. When I don't need to be, I honestly still stink. But ah well. At least I get the things done that God wants done. But that's the real extent of that story. The splits went well, and that's about it. Taught some good lessons, but nothing special to report.

Now, the second story is more entertaining and crazy, but it needs a little background. Every Saturday at noon, we teach an English class for service and to sometimes get referrals. Also, on an important note, when there are baptisms, we use a portable font that is put up in the enclosed courtyard out in front of the church building (a picture will be attached). So, this last Saturday, there was a baptism, so it was up and still full while we were teaching English class. After the class finished, we come down the stairs and see quite the sight (or rather, avert our eyes from the sight). Turns out the Malagasies don't like the heat just as much as we Americans. Come to find out, the Young Women from our branch had been at the church at the same time as us preparing for a meeting or something, and got a little hot. So, the entire Young Womens group from our branch decided to go cool off. So, when we midina avy amin'ny fianarana teny Anglisy (come down from the English class), we find our Young Women skinny-dipping in the baptismal font, in the churchyard, in broad daylight... Just let that sink in for a bit... Yes, it was awkward. There's another big fat addition to the "Only in Madagascar" list. Let's just say we missionaries got out of the churchyard as fast as possible.

Also, yesterday, I crashed my bike in the middle of the road and slid for like fifteen feet. But nothing to worry about, I'm all good, no scratches, and my shirt I was wearing isn't even dirty. No idea how that is possible, but it happened. I crashed because a pousse pousse's handlebar got hooked on my sidebag and pulled my bike sideways. And any of you biking experts out there know that if a bike's tires are perpendicular to the direction of movement, bad things happen. But luckily, nothing terrible was bruised. Just my ego. :)

So that's my past week. Good things, bad things, crazy things, things that need censoring, karanga izangy (etc. in Betsimisaraka). Things are going quite well though. There aren't many special things to report this week. But, like I said, next week I will know the transfer news, and I can give you all the updates on that and where (and if) I am going for my next area.

Anyway, that's about all I can say about this week, so I'll just close. I do want you all to know that the mission is hard. If someone tells you it's not, they're either pulling your leg or trying to sell you something. But there's something key about the mission that needs to be mentioned: they're WORTH it. Honestly, I have never been pushed so hard in my entire life. I have never been stretched to my limits and then some like I have been here in the mission field. But I have also never had a more satisfying experience in my life. I may not even see the fruits of my labors, but I know that they will be there. And I know that I am doing God's work. How could I ever be wasting my time if I am serving God and His beloved children? That's just not possible. And so, in closing, I disclose the reality of missions. It will undoubtedly be the hardest thing you will have done up until that point in your life. But every single second will be worth it, if you put your all into it. And that is my promise to each and every one of you this week.

Tiako ianareo jiaby betsika be, ary manantena fa mitohy mandeha tsara ny fiainanareo! I love you all very much, and hope that your lives will continue to go well!

-Elder Snell

This is a cool view I took on my split with Elder Yeagley. I thought it looked like a little South American town or something.

Some kids who posed for a picture.

This is a picture of a path that got flooded after some rains. And, of course, that red gate at the end is our destination... Figures. :)

Elder Christiansen in the yard of one of our members, which is also flooded. He's so cute with his shoes off. XP

Landry, one of our members, with a little visitor in one of our lessons.


Landry and Elder Christiansen


This is a picture of a lizard I caught in our house on my nametag.

Picture of the aforementioned baptismal font.



Two of our cute investigator's kids who like my helmet and name tag.