Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Monday, December 15, 2014

12/15/14- Thank You for Your Love and Support

Inona ny milaza, ireo namako sy fianakaviako tena mahafanaritra be?! (What is up, my amazing friends?!) Ataoko (ary ity ny hevitro) fa ianareo jiaby dia ny namana sy fianakaviana tsara indrindra amin'izao tontolo izao. Tena marina izangy. (I think--and this is my thought--that you all are the best family and friends in the whole world. That is the complete truth.) Anyway, as always, good to hear from you all, and good to be updated on the goings on in the real world, though I'm starting to doubt its existence. Madagascar seems to be a black hole for all things First World.  ;)

Anyway, question time: First off, tranfers. So, yes, I was transfered, but also, I was not. So, what's happening is more missionaries are going home than are coming in, so they have to combine a few areas. And seeing as Andranomadio (my area) is the newest area, that was the first to be combined with the neighboring area of Mangarivotra. So Elder Godfrey, from my MTC group, and I will be working together in the single combined area of Mangarivotra and Andranomadio, and also another Elder by the name of Elder Bowler will be coming in from Antsirabe to help us, forming a trio, rather than a normal companionship. So, pretty crazy. But, as for actually moving, no, I do not need to move. I will be staying in the same house for this next transfer. Anyway, second question: about my new companions, Elder Godfrey just turned 19 years old last week, has worked in Tamatave also for the past three months, and is from Cache Valley in Utah. He's a nice guy, and this'll be a fun opportunity to work with him. As for Elder Bowler, I don't know much about him, other than the fact that he's very good at the language, pretty nice, and from Las Vegas as well (no idea why I keep attracting the Elders from Las Vegas, but whatever). So hohitantsika foana raha mandeha tsara ity tranfera manaraka ity (So we will see if this next transfer goes well). As for the third question, about the Skyping on Christmas, still not so sure, but I will talk with my house this week and we will decide the schedule we want to set up for Christmas Day, and I will be sure to send out the details on next Monday. As for the last question, this is kind of a weird answer. No, I have not lost weight. I have actually gained weight. I have no idea how that has happened, seeing as I sweat out at least like five pounds of water everyday, and ride about five miles or more on my bike everyday as well. But whatever. I'm not getting fat, so that's good. But in contrast to the weight I was when I left (about 155 pounds) I am now about 180 pounds or so (I can't be sure though, because our scale kind of stinks. Malagasy-made. Figures.). But anyway, that's been kind of weird for me, as I'm not used to lugging around about thirty extra pounds all the time. But it's a good workout. Hopefully it's thirty pounds of muscle, though I kind of doubt that.

Anyway, this week has been pretty quiet as far as stories go. Nothing really has changed from last week, other than the transfers. Kind of a sad/frustrating story that happened was when Elder and Sister Rossiter (a missionary couple) came down to Tamatave for a few days to do some administrative things. They stopped by our house, with their car parked to the side, and talked with Elder Christiansen and I inside the house for a while. But, afterwards, come to find out, while we were talking someone had broken into their car and stolen about one thousand five hundred dollars worth of electronic equipment, including a brand-new iPad Air, an HD projector, a GPS, and some other things. Elder Rossiter thinks that when he meant to lock the car, he accidentally pressed the unlock button and didn't bother to check whether the car was actually locked or not. So, that was fun. More expenses piling up. As usual. Like I've said before, Madagascar is a black hole that sucks anything first world into an everlasting abyss of nothingness and complacence. :) Just for the record, I really don't hate Madagascar as much as that statement makes it seem. I actually love Madagascar! I really think it is one of the coolest places on earth, and I love the people sooo much (though the excess of drunks does make it difficult sometimes).

Anyway, that's about all I have to say in this email. There's not much of anything else, though the pictures this week should be fun, as there are some Christmas-themed pics (which are sure to bring joy, the Christmas spirit, and concern for my sanity into your lives). But anyway, thank you all for your support. It really has been such a big blessing to me to have all of your encouraging words flood in every week. You're all so wonderful, and it means the world to me that you take the time to email me every week and keep supporting me. I know that all of you are a blessing from God, and hope you all feel my love and appreciation for all of you. God was so kind to bless me with your acquaintance in this life, and I know that I am the person I am today because of all of you.
Amin'fitiavako, ny fahafenoan'ny fitiavan'Andriamanitra, ary ny fitiavanareo,
(With my love, the fullness of the love of God, and all of your love),

Elder Snell

This is a knock-off of last weeks picture with a little lizard on my name tag instead of a big one.

  A friend I made during personal study. Such a cute little guy, wanting to study in St. John.


This picture is of a Frozen billboard I saw the other day. The outside world really does exist!!! :O

This is a picture is of me and my favorite little kid here, by the name of Frankie. He's the son of one of our investigators, and is absolutely adorable.

This is a cool sort of Neo-Gothic style cathedral I saw the other day. I thought it looked pretty, so I decided to take a picture of it.



This is of an adorable Malagasy boy at church. He was looking pretty stylin', so I decided to snap a pic with him. He also had bright pink socks, which aren't included in the picture. Ah well, maybe next time.

Sunrise on the beach. Very pretty. They beat the sunrises in Utah, araka ny hevitro (according to my opinion).


Elder Andrianaivo wearing some traditional Malagasy clothing (just kidding, he just looks ridiculous).
This picture was going to constitute our Christmas card, but the software isn't working, so hopefully an attachment of them will suffice.

Picture of me posing with my mini-Christmas tree that my mom sent. I thought the Santa hat and sunglasses really set the whole thing off.

Elder Andrianaivo and me at the cyber.