Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Monday, March 2, 2015

03/02/15- Baptism in a River and a Living Prophet

Hello everyone!

Another week gone to who knows where, and here I am again sitting in the cyber thinking about creative ways to start my email to all of you, and yes, this current sentence is the best I could come up with. :) Learning Malagasy really saps my creative abilities (not that there was much to begin with, but oh well). Anyway, this past week was VERY very cool, and I am excited to tell you all about it. As my mom's questions effectively cover everything that I want to convey, I will dive right into the aforementioned questions.

First off, our baptism this last Saturday and details about it. We had a baptism for two investigators in the small town of Anjoma, and since the actual church is just a couple of small wood buildings, there is no font, not even a portable one. So, instead, we made a four kilometer trek over a mountain to a river and waterfall, where we did the baptism. And that spot was absolutely GORGEOUS. Wow, I don't think I'll ever forget that place and the accompanying experience. As far as the eye could see (and you could see pretty darn far) there was no signs of civilization: no houses, no roads, nothing. Just rolling hills, mountainous forests, and green as far as the eye can see. Because of that, I feel like the baptism had a very special spirit to it. You're just so far away from everything, and just in the moment, with a bunch of branch members gathered around singing hymns by a mountain river, about to help a few people enter into the gate that leads to eternal life; there's nothing quite like it. Probably one of the coolest experiences of my life. And don't worry, there are many pictures that are on their way, and will be attached momentarily.

Second question, as for investigators that need prayers, there are two families in particular that come to mind. The first are two "eternigators" as they are called in the mission. They are investigators who have been learning for over five years now (they are more experienced in church matters than most of our actual members, since they've been coming to church longer). Their names are Annika and Arline, and the reason they haven't been baptized yet is because Arline is currently still married to another woman besides Annika, and the woman will not sign for a divorce. It's possible to get a divorce without his old wife's consent, but it is very difficult and very very expensive. So, they are very much in need of some prayers and help sent their way. And so, if I may, I'd like to ask all of you to pray for them if you can. It would mean the world to me and to them if you all would do that. Also, there is a new family that we found while street contacting that has been progressing very, very quickly. In fact, they came to church after just the first week of teaching them, which is pretty much unheard of out here. Their names are Liva and Olga, with their two little kids being a girl who is four years old and a boy who is eleven. I would also appreciate it if they could receive some added spiritual help from you all. I understand if you all are busy, but anything is appreciated, for both Annika and Arline and Liva and Olga. Thank you all for your support! You are all truly the best ever.

Third question; we do not ride bikes, but just walk everywhere. I have to say that my legs are getting pretty darn toned from all the walking up and down and over hills and whatnot. It's a nice workout.

Anyway, before I answer the last question, which is of spiritual content, there's a few small stories I wanted to tell. First of all, we met two Peace Corps members last Monday during dinner. They were way cool, and I really enjoyed talking to them. They were atheists, so we had some pretty good discussions on religion and whatnot. The man there actually used to be a member of our church, but then left for several personal reasons. It was a very interesting conversation, and I especially felt kind of sad because of their perspective that there's no life after death. I've expressed before that sad fact, and last Monday just reaffirmed my feelings about it. But anyway, that was kind of cool, especially since they learn Malagasy as well, so it was pretty weird talking to two other white people who aren't missionaries in Malagasy. We certainly got some weird looks from the Malagasy people passing by.

Anyway, second story was just kind of a funny side note, but last Wednesday we had a drunk man stop by our church while we were there at a small branch party. He said that he wanted to learn how to play the piano. We told him to come to church and then we could talk then (when he wasn't drunk) and then we could talk more. He told us thank you many times over, and then went to shake our hands. As we did that, he leaned down and kissed our hands. Not like the old-fashioned way, being all proper and whatnot, but like planted a big sloppy kiss on the back of my hand. Let me just say that I quickly went and dumped half a bottle of hand sanitizer on my hand. Not sure it was enough, but let's hope so for the sake of my good health. It was pretty gross, but at least I haven't fallen into sewage yet. There have been some missionaries which have experienced that, and I do not envy them. We'll hope for the best for my future, but we will see.

Anyway, onto the next question, and more spiritual matters; more specifically, about the gospel topic that seems to touch the Malagasy people more than others. And honestly, the answer probably isn't what you'd think. The thing that tends to stick out most to people is the fact that we have a modern, living, breathing prophet in these latter days. It's interesting that that sticks out to them so much, but they are always quite interested when we tell them that there is a modern prophet who has the authority directly from God to receive and relay revelation directly from God to all of mankind, just like in the Bible. They are always gaga be (amazed) when we tell them that. And then they get suspicious and ask how that can be, and then when we teach them about The Restoration through Joseph Smith and how the Priesthood was restored as well, it is always very clear to them, but they are still a little hesitant. But then we share Matthew 7:15-20 about how we can know whether a prophet is true by their fruits--that is to say, their teachings, the things they do, sns (etc. in Malagasy)--and then teach them about the Book of Mormon, as well as invite them to church. Because honestly, that's the only way that they can know whether our message is true or not. If they  try and experience the "fruits" of the prophet Joseph Smith and ask God about their truthfulness (manandrana ny voaktry ny mpaminany Joseph Smith ary mangataka amin'Andriamanitra momba ny fahamarinanythen) they will receive the answer to their prayers that it is true. It's so simple, but sometimes it's the most frustrating aspect of the mission. People will just believe what we say and not even follow our counsel to ask God whether it is true or not. A lot of the time, the Church gets a lot of criticism for blind following (the Peace Corps guy actually brought that up) but the problem is, we don't want people to blindly follow our beliefs. We want them to sincerely question it and ask of God whether it is true. That way they will actually find out for themselves whether our church is true or not.

But anyway, the fact that there is a living prophet is the thing that most amazes and interests Malagasies. I just wish they were more diligent in finding out for themselves whether that is true or not. Because, honestly, it's so simple. You ask, and then you receive. Matthew 7:7 "Ask, and ye shall receive; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." It's that simple. And I know that it is true. How? Because I've already done it. I truly asked and searched for the answer for myself, rather than simply blindly following. And so that's what I ask all of you to do. Don't just follow the crowd. Ask. Pray. And then receive. It is a very simple equation, so I think you all can handle it. ;) Even the Malagasies can handle it, and some of them have less than a fifth grade education. I promise each and every one of you that the answer WILL come, if you all but only look for it. So, please... ask. That is it. I know that to be true, because I have seen it change the lives of those who followed that counsel, the most special and personal being my own. I have received countless blessings and unexplainable happiness because of the answer I received. There is literally nothing that could make searching for the answer negative. The only things that can come from it are good. So, please, take that step, and ask your Father in Heaven. I know He will answer you.

That's it for this week's email, so, until next time!

Am-pitiavana,
Elder Hyrum Snell



Elder Delbar and I with the people who got baptized. Sorry, my eyes are closed. :P

This is me with one of the men getting baptized and his family.

This is  Elder Delbar and a Dadabe who came to the baptism. I am very proud of this picture, so I hope you all enjoy its incredible artistic-ness.

This is where we did the baptism
A lesson with some recent converts in Anjoma. Such kind people, and always wanting to take pictures.

Those getting baptized

A very good view of Ambositra. Yes, that is pretty much the entire town in the background there.

This is a picture of Anjoma and the surrounding mountains. Yes, those little houses make up all of Anjoma.

Andry and me. He actually just left for a mission in Cote d'Ivoire yesterday evening. He'll be a stud, but he really didn't want to smile for the camera. 



Two pictures of us doing some stereotypical tracting (completely staged of course). :) It was still fun though.


These are the mountains as we were walking up to the mountain river for the baptism in Anjoma.

Our church building on the inside.

This is our branch president singing karaoke at a branch party.

These are two pictures of the small group of people who came to the branch party, with me being obviously front and center, being the only white boy. Ah well. :)


A cute puppy.