Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Monday, March 16, 2015

03/16/15- Life is Beautiful!

Hello friends and family! I hope you are all doing well. I know that we all have trials that are going on constantly, but we can choose what we focus on: the many blessings we have, or the trials that we are going through. I see people here in Madagascar constantly doing that: choosing to focus on the things they DO have, their family, their friends, their lives, a house (as small as it may be). I see people in absolute poverty struggling to simply make ends meet and get enough rice to feed their kids for a day. And yet they are incredibly happy, and that just amazes me. I know for a fact that none of us lives in a house that consists of one room that is about six feet by eight feet in area. I know that we all eat more than simply rice every day. There are many things that we can be grateful for, but we just need to look for them.

Anyway, this past week has been quite good, very enjoyable. I had two awesome opportunities this past week, the first being the chance to attend Zone Conference and learn from President Adams and the AP's how I can be a better missionary. We also got to watch the movie Meet the Mormons, which was a nice treat (and which I heartily recommend to those of you which have not yet viewed it). The second opportunity was to go to a Fisoratana (or legal wedding) for one of our members in Anjoma. He has been in some of the past weeks' pictures. His name is Ranjato, and he served in Johannesburg, South Africa. His wife is named Nirina, and she actually is returned missionary as well and served here in Madagascar, actually finishing her mission the day that I arrived here. But this last Saturday, when we went to Anjoma, we got to go to their legal wedding, and that was a cool opportunity to see what a Malagasy wedding is like. Don't worry, pictures are on their way. :) Also, this last week was the last week of the transfer, so we received transfer news last night. But Elder Delbar and I are staying here in Ambositra together for another transfer, so nothing too special there. It'll be a good transfer though, lots of good stuff planned for the future.

And now onto the questions that my mom poses every week. The first one asks what one of my favorite things about Madagascar is, whether it is the culture, the people, or na inona na inona (whatever). And that is a very hard question, as there are many things I absolutely love about the Malagasy people. But, as far as things that I truly love go, the biggest thing would be the fact that everyone is religious. And when I say that everyone is religious, I mean EVERYONE. Thus far, I have not found one person who does not believe in the existence of God and Jesus Christ. That makes our job here as missionaries much easier, as we do not have to try and convince people that God does exist and that He is our Father in Heaven and everything like that. They already believe that. We just need to add to their previous knowledge. But it just truly amazes me that the people here in Madagascar all feel the need for there to be a God. They literally all know that there needs to be a Creator and someone who is in charge. Even before Christianity came here to Madagascar, the people still believed in a God and that there were things that needed to be done here on earth. Fun fact: when the French came to colonize Madagascar, they found that the people were living several important parts of the Law of Moses. Weird... It makes one wonder where that came from. But anyway, to officially answer the question, that would be my favorite thing about the people in Madagascar: their faith. Their belief in God, Jesus Christ, and the fact that He loves us, and that He is our Father in Heaven, and wants us to return to him and receive eternal life. I have yet to meet a Malagasy that does not believe that. And believe me, I've met a lot of Malagasies! :)

Anyway, onto the second question which asks about my best lesson this past week, and why I consider it as such. And that is another hard question, because this last week, Elder Delbar hasn't been feeling so good, so we've been taking it easy and only taught about fifteen lessons in total, which is a lot less than our normal twenty-five to thirty lessons, so I don't really have a lot of options to pick from this week. :P But, I would have to say that my favorite lesson this last week was with our investigator Jean Paul last Tuesday while I was on splits with Elder Weber (one of the AP's). The reason for this is the fact that he told us that he actually has no problems anymore that are keeping him from attending church and getting baptized. He said that his cousin has completely changed now and, though he still doesn't like the church, has no problem now with the thought of changing faith and baptism. Also (and I can't remember if I already mentioned this), Jean Paul's Catholic father was signing him up for "priest school" in Fianarantsoa, even though Jean Paul didn't really want to go. But, last week, Jean Paul went in and stood up to his Catholic father and told him that he has found out for himself through prayer that our church is true and that he is going to switch religions. I thought I didn't hear him right when he first told me that. But, it turns out that his testimony of the truthfulness of the Church is stronger than we originally thought, and he made an incredibly hard decision by standing up to his Catholic father and telling him that he is getting baptized into the Church. So, that is my favorite lesson this past week, as it was very incredible and significant, as well as impressive that Jean Paul made that decision to stand up to his Catholic father. So, needless to say, Elder Delbar and I were quite happy when we learned that he can now get baptized (which is currently planned for the 25th of April). That was an incredible miracle that happened to us this past week, and I am so grateful for it.

And now, onto the third question, which asks what habits--or other things done on a daily basis--help me feel closest to God throughout the day. And honestly, the biggest thing may be more simple than expected. The two things that stick out to me and truly bring the Spirit and bring me closer to God every day would be a sincere morning and evening personal prayer to Him, and then reading at least a chapter of the Book of Mormon every day. Those two things, as simple as they may be, truly bring the Spirit into my life, and I can teach and preach more effectively because of it. Yes, other things like a good personal study bring the Spirit. But those two things are the simplest, most effective ways to invite the Spirit into my day. I have seen that time and time again, day in and day out. I promise each and every one of you that if you do those two, simple things--read the Book of Mormon, and then have a SINCERE morning and evening personal prayer to your Father in Heaven--then you will see blessings that you can't even comprehend begin to fill your life, inviting the Spirit and bringing the joy, peace, and comfort that comes with it. So I guess that's my invitation for the week that I want to extend to all of you: read the Book of Mormon, even if it is just a chapter a day, and then pray. Pray with all sincerity of heart twice a day. Both God, His prophets on earth today, and I personally promise all of you that, if you do those things, then there will be countless blessings that will enter your life and make your life a better, happier, and more enjoyable experience. Yes, we need to endure our trials here on earth, but we are also supposed to enjoy it. Life is beautiful! So please, take these small steps and make your life better. I know that it will become a more enjoyable experience if you do those things, and you will also receive the strength to endure the trials that you are going through. I know I have, and I couldn't have made it this far without God's help. So, always remember: God is knocking on our doors. We just have to follow His counsel and let Him in. So, please; let God into your life. You will be blessed because of it. I know that to be true, and so do countless others who all bear testimony with me of the truthfulness of that promise.

Anyway, that's all for this week. Have a great next week, and make the most of it! Most importantly, remember that I love you all, God loves you all, and that life is beautiful and meant to be enjoyed. So, enjoy this next week!

Hatramin'ny herin'andro amin'ny manaraka! (Until next week!)
Am-pitiavana mandrakizay ho anareo, (With eternal love for you all)

Elder Snell
Ambositra, Amoron'i Mania, Madagasikara

The marketplace where we get most of our food to cook with each week.


Cute kittens that I found.

A picture of me and the APs after our splits this week.

These are two temple wooden mosaics I had made (yes, they are literally wooden mosaics, and not painted or anything). One is for you and Dad and Mom. Take your pick. :)

This is the restaurant that President took us to after the Zone conference, which was EXTREMELY good. I got some ravioli which was fantastic! Too bad, it's in Fianarantsoa and VERY expensive, so, that was kind of a one-time thing.

Pictures with Elder Mack (ry namako malalako!) at the Zone Conference.

Smiling with Elder Mack!

Elder Delbar and I together with the newly weds.

The newly weds with their families and the mayor and secretary who performed the wedding.
These next pictures are all from the Fisoratana (wedding) in Anjoma, which was a really cool experience. I took a lot of pictures, so I hope you all don't get bored.








Party at Ranjato's house after the Fisoratana.

Party at Ranjato's house after the Fisoratana.


An adorable little girl at the wedding party.  I just had to take a picture of her.

More party at Ranjato's house after the Fisoratana