Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

08/03/15- The Worth of Every Soul is Great

Manakory aby o! Dia ahoana ny fandehana aminareo! Aty aminay, tsy dia misy vaovao na ambara, fa ny mahazatra mandrakariva. Thank you all for being so consistent and wonderful with your emails. I truly appreciate the words of encouragement and upliftment that you all send on a consistent basis. I really appreciate all you do, I truly do!

But anyway, this week has been something of a roller coaster, mostly due to one of the most powerful spiritual experiences I have ever had, but I'll save that for last, and start off with my mom's questions.
First off, things I have eaten recently that are "interesting." As to that, I haven't really eaten anything of interest as of late. I've started making shakes for my breakfast in the morning though, which consists of a protein powder, bananas, peanut butter, milk, and yoghurt. Quite delicious, if I do say so myself. :)

Secondly, as far as soirees (dinner appointments with members or investigators) go, we don't have a whole lot. Mostly it's just our one dinner appointment with our investigator Lala every Thursday, along with a lesson. They make an absolutely FANTASTIC lasopy, by the way (that's soup, for all you vazahas). But other than that, there's not really any eating that we do with members or investigators.

For the third question, this area is MUCH wealthier than Ambositra, my previous area. It was very humbling to see how poor Madagascar truly could be in Ambositra and Anjoma. But here in Tanjombato, things are still very poor and much more crowded, but has much more wealth. There are some areas here where there are houses that are much nicer than ones in America. They're like villas, with big majestic gates, fountains out front, and the like. But that is very few and far between. The majority of the houses here in Madagascar, anywhere, are very small, cramped, and made completely of cement.

For the last question, my mom asked me what my thoughts are about the power of the Atonement and how it can work in people's lives and give them opportunities and the power to change. As far as that goes, I have seen it time and time again here in Madagascar, no matter where I go. But one of the best examples is one of our Recent Converts, whose name is Anessey. Anessey is from the northern city of Mahajanga, and used to be Muslim. He first started learning from the missionaries in 2001. And yes, you read that right; he is a new convert. He got baptized just last year, and learned from the missionaries for over THIRTEEN YEARS. And he told us that he was just never convinced that the church was true. But he also said that he had never read the Book of Mormon during that time, or tried to pray about it or the story of Joseph Smith. But, throughout those thirteen years, the Spirit worked on him, softened his heart, and as he allowed that to happen, the Atonement and Christ's grace began to work on his heart. And then, in September 2014, he finally decided that he needed to pray and read the Book of Mormon. And what happened? God answered his prayers. He felt that the church was true, the Book of Mormon was true, and that Joseph Smith was a true prophet. And then, even though he had been Muslim all his life, he decided to get baptized. He told the missionaries that it didn't matter when, even if it was the next day, because he had already decided, and that was that. Then he was baptized, and has been a member ever since.

So, that is one cool story for the week, and it was very cool hearing about his conversion. But, last Tuesday, I had an even more spiritual experience. We came to the house for one of our times, whose name was Arlin, and has his own little church called The Gate of Eternal Life (Ny Vavahadin'ny Fiainana Mandrakizay) that he runs out of his basement. We contacted him the week before, and gave him a little lesson, where we learned about the church he ran, as well as the fact that he used to be married, but his wife died the previous year in an accident. So anyway, we get to the time, and we come in. He's all ready for us, with his Bible and a notebook and pen, so it looks like he is going to be taking notes! So we start into the lesson, and right off the bat I can tell that he just wants to Bible bash. But, we were trying to get Elder Leo to practice his skill at the first lesson, so we kept trying to bring it back to the lesson. But, sadly, he kept taking it farther and farther away. In the end, he told us that he could not accept our message because 1) Joseph Smith's name isn't written in the Bible and 2) we believe that Christ died on a Friday, whereas he believes that Christ died on a Wednesday (yes that is a legitimate belief here in Madagascar, but I have no idea how it came to be). Needless to say, I was getting fairly frustrated and angry because he would not let us teach, but kept trying to prove us wrong with scriptures that made no sense. So, by the end of the lesson, I'll admit that I was FUMING. This man was denying the restored gospel due to two hollow claims. But then, right as I was trying to close up the lesson, I was absolutely overwhelmed by the Spirit, and also with a feeling of absolute sadness. But it wasn't just any impression. I got the distinct impression that his deceased wife was there, and that it was her sadness for her husband that I was feeling. I could barely breath, let alone talk. And in an instant, my anger was gone, and was instead replaced by an intense sadness, such as like I had never experienced up until that point in time. And so I told him that. I told him that his wife was sad for him, and that she had already accepted the gospel, and that she wanted him to do the same, and that she was distraught because of his decision at that point in time to deny it. That made no change in him though, so we closed with a prayer and quickly left. But the Spirit did not leave me. After we left his house, I was distraught as well, and tears were flowing freely. I explained the situation to Elder Leo, and after a little ways we stopped and just took a bit of a break. But the strong Spirit of that situation has yet to leave me, and I hope it doesn't ever do so. I want to remember that feeling, that sadness, that a deceased spouse had for their spouse who is still living. I will never outright reject someone because of what they say or do, because their salvation is far too important to do so. And there are far too many people on the other side of the veil just waiting for me to find them, teach them, and bring them unto the knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. From that situation, I got a little insight into God's love for each and every one of us here on earth, and how important our conversion is to Him. Every person is important to God. "The worth of every soul is great in the sight of God." I have seen that here on the mission, and hope that that love never leaves me.

But anyway, I hope that you all can feel the Spirit of that experience, in the way that I felt it as well. Let us all have a bit more love for our fellow man, and try to see them as God sees them. Or, at least see them as their loved ones see them. That's what's most important: ny fifankatiavantsika. That is to say, our loving of one another.

I hope you all have a wonderful week! Keep the faith, and stay strong! Mahereza!
Am-pitiavana,
Elder Snell



A GORGEOUS sunset

A great view of some rice paddies and the hills of Tanjombato (which is on the edge of Tana)

A picture of our bishop proudly holding his $1,000,000 bill, which he thought was real. ;)
Elder Leo and me in an elevator