Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Monday, October 12, 2015

10/12/15- Transfer News and God's Grace

Hey all! It has been a crazy but a good week, and I am excited to tell you all about it, but I don't have too much time, so I'll just try and get right into the questions and whatnot.

First off, transfers. It's a crazy one this time. I am being transferred away from Tana to the southern city of Fianarantsoa. The previous eight missionaries who worked there are all getting removed, all but one, who will be my companion, along with one other missionary. So we three will be working to make the two branches down there into what they need to be. There has been some apostasy and misuse of the church's funds.  I'm going to know the handbooks down front and back. It will be fun, and most definitely a growing experience. I will be working with Elders Ahlstrom and Obioma, both of which are my seniors in age and missionary experience. I will be making about a ten hour taxi ride down to Fianarantsoa this Wednesday. Yeah, it takes a while. :P

Mom, to answer your question of how long it would take to drive from one end of Madagascar to the other, that would take several days, if not an entire week. Yeah, like I've said before, straight roads don't exist here, BUT apparently malls do, because we went to one today, and it was EXACTLY like an American mall, but a bit nicer. I had a Nutella milkshake which was the most delicious things I have ever tasted here in country. It was crazy.

Anyway, next off: as far as church meetings go, yesterday's church was AWESOME. Honestly, one of the best church meetings I've ever had. We had eleven investigators and eleven less actives come, as well as a great attendance. Then to top it all off, we had AWESOME lessons, both in the investigator class and in the third hour which was combined. SO so so cool. I really enjoyed that.

Now, for the fourth question. As far as certain lessons that I've taught this week that have stood out, the biggest thing has been on conversion and being changed. I have taught that lesson several times to several different less actives and investigators who we felt were in need of that message, and it's been incredible the spirit that it brought. In Madagascar, I have seen that many people get the feeling that we are saved by grace and don't need to do anything else. So, it has been good to clear up that misconception. Grace is meant to change us, not allow us to be lazy. The point of Christ's sacrifice is to allow us to change, to grow, and become what we need to be to return and dwell in God's presence, and actually want to be there. My mom sent me a talk this last week about grace, called "His Grace is Sufficient" by Brad Wilcox, and I'm being completely honest when I say that that talk has changed my life. It has completely changed my outlook on everything we do, and has helped me focus on what the real point is, and that is progression. Becoming like God is doesn't happen in the twinkling of an eye, but happens over a long time with diligent, applied effort and unity with God's grace.
 

I love you all, and I'm sorry that my email is shorter today. I hope you all have a great week!

Am-pitiavana,
Elder Snell

Soccer game on P-day