Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Monday, April 11, 2016

04/11/16- Come Unto Christ

Hey everyone! I hope that this last week has been a good and eventful week for all of you. It certainly was a pretty good one for me out here in Madagascar. I'm enjoying the work here in Antsirabe, though it is taking a bit to get used to the different feel of a different area. That's one thing about here in Madagascar. If you move to a different city, it's not like in America, where it's pretty much the same. But here it is almost completely different. I went from sand, palm trees, and tropical sunshine.
Now I come here to overcast weather, rice paddies, and chilly wind. Way different, and the people and even the culture is different as well.

First off, my shoes are doing fine, Mom. Don't worry. ;) The Keens are pretty much destroyed, but the Hush Puppies are holding up pretty well, and should carry me through to the finish line.

Second, we actually just watched General Conference yesterday and on Saturday. We didn't have any CD's in English yet though, so we watched it in Malagasy. It was a little rough because the translation was kinda spotty, so I'm actually going to download all of conference today and go over it in English on my own time.

Third: what I love most about my new area. I do like that I don't come home sweating like crazy anymore. That's always a plus. But, as always, I would have to say that the thing I love most about the area is just the people. There are some incredible people in this area, both member and non-member. I love interacting with them, laughing with them, and especially feeling the Spirit with them. It's great to see some of the changes that people have made in their lives out here, and I hope I can help continue that process as the come unto Christ and God.

Fourth question: investigators that we have and a certain lesson I enjoyed teaching this week. That would probably be with Ary and Joss, a couple and parents of some other investigators we teach (their children are working on getting legally married so they can be baptized). Elder Cyusa told me that they are pretty nice people (the parents), but they are very solidly in another church. So, with that in mind, we went into the lesson. What we had planned on doing was to review the Restoration and bring that powerful Spirit that is always present in that lesson. As we went into it though, I asked a question to the husband, Joss, and he responded that he would never change religions, because his brother, father, and grandfather had all been pastors in this church, and that meant that he could not change. At that point I felt inspired to share two scriptures and then bear testimony of the truthfulness of the message. I shared two scriptures, one from Matthew 5:10-12, which talks about how those that are persecuted for righteousness' sake are blessed, because that was one of their concerns, that their family would persecute them if they got baptized. And then I shared Matthew 10:37-39, which essentially says that we must deny everything and follow Christ. Then I bore testimony that I know that this church is how they can come unto Christ. I have seen that in my life over and over again. I told them that this testimony of mine does not come from other sources other than God Himself. He has made known unto me that this is His will for His children, and through the message that we bring, all His children can return unto Him. At that point, I asked them if they wanted to follow God, and come unto Christ. They said yes. And I told them that, if they prayed, they would come to know as well that what I said was true. They got really quiet right then, and the Spirit was so strong in the room. I told them that I felt the Spirit at that point, and said that I knew they felt it as well. Ary, the wife, nodded, and I could see her eyes tearing up. Leaving that lesson, I knew that they both felt the Spirit, and were beginning to know that this message was true, and is the way that they can come unto Christ. They committed to pray and ask God if this is true, and I know that if they do so, they will know as well.

Anyway, fifth question: my favorite section in Preach My Gospel. That would be the first section, "My Purpose." Because my purpose, personally, as a missionary is to "invite others to come unto Christ by inviting them to receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end." If a missionary follows the guidelines in PMG and keeps that one purpose in mind, with the end goal being fiainana mandrakizay (eternal life), then all other things they do will fall into place, and they will be a successful, spiritually powerful missionary.

Last question: yes Mom, I know that you love me. ;) I hope you know that I love you too.

Anyway, thank you all for the support and love you send my way, and I hope you feel the reciprocation I try to send back from out here in Madagascar. I love you all and hope that you have a great week!

Am-pitiavana,
Elder Snell

Pictures of my study desk

 This is a W.C. that I used.

Ambohimena

Ambohimena


Ambohimena

Ambohimena

Some cute little kids carrying ducks for whatever reason.





This is a picture of some kids at one of our lessons the other day.


Ambohimena
Ambohimena

Ambohimena