Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Monday, April 18, 2016

04/18/16- Forget Yourself and Get to Work!

Hey everyone! As always, great to hear from you all. It's been a pretty awesome week, we saw a lot of success as well as fruits of our labors. I hope everyone's week was just as good!

First off, we mostly eat out, because there are some really cheap, clean places nearby. So we're pretty kamo mahandro sakafo. :P But we do cook occasionally. Like we had some new investigators give us avocados yesterday, just because that's Malagasy fomba, and I'm going to use those tomorrow probably to make some guacamole for homemade tacos. Should be good!

Second: we do occasionally eat with members in this area. Maybe once or twice a week, at most, but that's it. For instance, we will be eating with one member tonight, and then one other member Friday night. But that's it.

Third question: one of the most unique things that the Malagasy people eat. Well, first off, let me explain. No matter what they eat, they always eat rice with something else on top, whether that's vegetables, meat, or whatever. That being said, the "toppings" they put on the rice is called laoka. So, some of the weirdest types of laoka are as follows: ravitoto sy henakisoa. That is cassava leaves with they pound into a pulp and then mix with oil, garlic, salt, and sometimes coconut oil, then eat it with pig fat. I actually kind of like it, apart from the pig fat. Another one is called trondro maina, which is literally rotten fish. They catch the fish, kill it, and then set it out in the sun to dry (and rot) for several days. Then they fry it in oil, put some salt on it, and eat it with rice. So that's some classic Malagasy cuisine.

Fourth: experiences from the week. As far as that goes, I would just say that we have seen some great miracles happening as of late. This last week, we did a decent amount of tracting, and it actually turned out to be quite effective. For instance, the week before, we taught eight Father-led Families (one of the extra key indicators we keep here in the Madagascar Mission). And that is pretty good, teaching eight different households led by a father. But then, this last week, we doubled that. We taught sixteen Father-led Families this last week, a fair amount of whom came from tracting. We have been praying to be led to who God has prepared and who have accepted that preparation, and we have truly been led into these wonderful people who are ready.

Fifth question: in this branch, we missionaries do not really have a lot of responsibilities, like playing piano or teaching, but the members take care of it. It's been nice. :P

Last question: what helps the most with the hard days and discouragement. Honestly, there's no little scripture or saying or anything that helps me a lot with discouragement, other than this, "Forget yourself and get to work." I've realized that when all I think about is the work and how I can find, teach, and prepare people for eternal life, then there's no room in my mind for worry, discouragement, or focus on the hard days. That really is the only thing I've found. You can't think your way out of discouragement, and you can't just read a scripture and be okay for the rest of the day, week, or mission. You've gotta get to work. And that's what I've noticed is that when I lose myself in the work, my worries, discouragement, or sadness gets lost as well.

Anyway, thank you all for being so great and supporting me. I hope you all have a fantastic week, and know that I love you all!

Am-pitiavana,
Elder Snell


Picture from P-Day

Picture from P-Day

This is one of our investigators and his daughter.

This is a church's sign that says "Bring your sick, afflicted, and impoverished. They will be healed."

This is a little kid in a rice paddy. I told him to smile for the picture, and look at his face. It cracks me up every time!
The following pictures are of the area...





Elder Cyusa holding a cat. His name is pronounced "chew-suh" by the way.
A cute kid I was giving a "dona" (fist bump.) I don't know why he looks so scared giving a dona to a six-foot-three white guy he's never seen before...

These are some kids that wanted a picture taken of themselves at one of our teaching appointments.