Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Monday, June 6, 2016

06/06/16- "I Love You More or Less"

Manahoana daholo e a! It sounds like this last week was SUPER eventful and busy for lots of people, with graduation for everyone and whatnot. But I'm glad that it was a good week, from what it sounded like. Out here in 67 Ha,  Antananarivo, Madagasikara, our week was great. Got a lot of good work done, and I am very very excited for what the future may bring.

First off, with regards to Zone Conference. Yes, we did have Zone Conference this past week, which was incredible. The Spirit was so strong throughout it. President and Sister Foote and the AP's all gave talks, which were all incredible. But it was mostly the central topic that caught my attention, and that was about being and becoming, rather than just doing. Out here in the mission field, there are missionaries who just "do missionary" for two years, go home, and continue on with life. But there are others who truly become a missionary throughout their two years in the field, and actually experience a "mighty change of heart" which serves as a take-off platform for higher and greater spiritual achievements throughout their entire lives. There were many different topics covered which all kind of centered on being and acting how missionaries should be and act. But the thing that most impressed me were some of President Foote's comments, especially about prayer. I know that we believe that prayer is communication with God, but sometimes we get in a rut of addressing God, thanking, asking, and ending in the name of Christ. Don't get me wrong though, that's a good form to follow. But, as our spirituality deepens, so should the personal aspect of our prayers deepen and become more personal and like a real conversation with God. He wants to talk with us. He doesn't really want a pre-recorded greeting, thank-you note, asking for a favor, or whatnot. He wants to TALK with you. And He is ready to do so, if you are ready to talk with Him. So those are my thoughts from Zone Conference.

Secondly, our investigators are doing pretty great. We had a pretty good turnout of 14 investigators at church yesterday, which we were way happy with, even though some people who said they would come didn't... But that's life in the mission field. We have some great progressing investigators, like Nasolo, Stephanie, and Frankie, a father and his two kids, who are also family of some part-member family recent converts. They are preparing to get baptized on July 9, and should catch that date if they come consistently to church at this point. So, we are praying for them to come.

Third question: our baptism last Saturday turned out great. Francine got baptized, and is now officially a full member of the church. She was smiling so much all Saturday and Sunday, it just made me so happy. I can't wait to see who else we can help make that covenant with God to put them on the road and path to eternal life.

Lastly, my thoughts and impressions from this last week. One thing that has been sticking out to me (besides my thoughts from Zone Conference), is with regards to charity. Charity, as we know, is "the pure love of Christ," which is limitless, unconditional, and knows no bounds. Charity is true love. Charity means that you will do anything for someone or something, no matter what they do to you, and no matter the circumstance. Christ had charity because He was willing to sacrifice and give up His entire life and suffer endless sufferings for each and every one of us. Charity is probably the most important characteristic that we must adopt in this life, for, as Paul says, no matter what we do, and "have not charity, [we] are nothing." If we truly have charity, everything else in our lives will fall into place, no matter the cost, circumstance, or situation. I know that's true. I have felt, at times, the charity and pure love of God and Christ for the people here in Madagascar. And I, as a missionary and representative of Them, has tried to emulate and convey that love to those who I come across. Obviously, I'm not perfect, and there are times when love is not the message that others get from me. And I know that I must repent because of that. But, I can try to change and become better every day. And that is my challenge for all of us; to try harder each and every day to love more, and have charity. President Foote in Zone Conference talked about a necklace he saw in France that said "love you more or less" which he thought was odd. But then when he asked the true meaning, it really brings out a great lesson for all of us. It's meaning is this: I love you more today than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow. That has become one of my personal goals from now on: to love others more today than I did yesterday, but less than I will love them tomorrow. So I encourage each and every one of you to do so as well, in order to bring more love and charity into this world that is desperately in need of that pure, unconditional love.

Anyway, that's all for this week. Thank you all for everything, and for the wonderful encouragement and words you send my way. I love you all and hope you have a great week!

Am-pitiavana,
Elder Snell

A picture from our baptism last Saturday, with Francine and her family.

Some of our investigator's kids. WAY cute.


Elder Leo and I re-united at Zone Conference!

Some American soldiers who came to church yesterday. The one in the middle is an ex-missionary, and the one on the right is his Catholic friend. The lesson was about baptism, and I think his Catholic friend had a lot of thoughts and questions afterwards, by the look on his face...


Splits with the APs yesterday, Elder Glazier and Elder Rasmussen.

Pictures from our lunch today and the Tana Water Front, after playing ultimate frisbee with our zone.

Another lunch pic
Some sushi that we had the other day, which was also way good.
We found a Mexican Restaurant in our area. WAY good, but a little bit pricey... :P

Our silly stove which only has three settings: warm, hot, and above or bottom...

But, as you see, the French Toast Casserole I made the other day turned out lovely.


Our schedule last day which was AWESOME. It consisted of a father-led part-member family, a referral, a recent convert, and then father-led families until the end of the day. Way grateful for God giving us that day.