Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Monday, June 20, 2016

06/20/16- Look to Christ and Live

Karaha kory ity raha e! Tegna teako ny fivolanantsikana, fa tsaroako foagna ny fanohananareo aho. I felt like busting out a little bit of the northern dialects, so there ya go in that opening statement. FYI that won't really work on Google Translate, but only part will come out. But you can try if you want. :)

Anyway, this is a pretty big landmark as far as my mission goes. Last week was great and everything, our baptism is vita soa aman-tsara, but today marks the start of the last transfer of my mission... Yeah... I officially have six weeks left, which is literally like nothing. I feel like the time is just slipping away from my, like trying to hold water in my bare hands. No matter how hard I squeeze, it just keeps getting through and going away, little by little. For all of you starting a mission, don't let a moment go by without making the most of it. Take advantage of the time you have! It's shorter than you think it is.

But anyway, we've got some good questions from my mom this week, which is awesome. First off, the reason why the Malagasy people are so happy when they have so little. To first answer that, I think some of them might not fully realize just how poor they are. That could be why. But here's an example to see the real reason: the rich Malagasy class are some of the snobbiest, most stuck-up and constantly angry people I have ever met. It seems like they are never happy (in general, that is). But then if you give a dona to one of the beggar kids, the entire group of beggars will just light up and smile from ear to ear. They are so happy it's ridiculous. There are also two great examples in the Ampefiloha (neighboring) Ward, where there are two severely handicapped members, who also have very little as far as worldly comforts go. And yet, they are literally two of the happiest people I have ever met. Here is the reason, according to my thinking: Malagasy people, in general, believe in God, and believe that He loves them. I feel that it is a belief in God that makes them so happy. Those who lack that belief lack that infectious happiness.

Second question: the baptism went great. I realize I kind of already answered this, but it was good. The girl we baptized had learned from missionaries for a long time and had just kind of fallen under the radar when there were some changes in the missionaries working here. So all we really did was complete the baptism. But it was good!

Third: something fun I ate this week. The thing that stands out most was that we ate at the Carlton Hotel this last week, which is really nice and pretty good food, but it made me way uncomfortable, just because of how nice it was and how expensive some of the food is. It was delicious, don't get me wrong, but I feel uncomfortable going there because of how nice it is. I feel like it's offensive to the people we teach almost, by how nice it is. But, despite all that, I did enjoy the lasagna that I got there.

Fourth: yes it is pretty cold right now, and getting colder. It varies though, depending on the day. Today, for example, is a wonderful 65 degrees or so with sunshine. But other days it gets down to like low forties or so, and that's why I got the coat (don't worry Mom, I didn't just buy stuff I didn't need; you taught me well). :)

Fifth question: this week was FULL of the Spirit. But it was especially strong in our last lesson yesterday (Sunday) with our investigator Bary. In that lesson, he said that he wanted to stop learning because he felt like it would increase the tension that is already to the breaking point in his family, because of their not accepting his learning from us and his desire to get baptized. But, we talked with him about that and had our member couple who were helping us give their testimonies of how following Christ is what we need to do, despite the trials we face in life. Then we read the story of Christ and Peter walking on the water, and talked about what it meant for him. When we applied it to him, and how he must look to Christ in everything he does, rather than look at the wind, waves, and storm, he got really quiet. Then he agreed to continue meeting with us an prepare for baptism, and I could tell that his faith grew in just that small meeting. I testified to him that we all go through trials, and that even I, as a missionary, have been and am still going through trials that threaten to bring me to the breaking point at times. And yet I told him that I know that if we look to Christ, we will not sink. We will not fall, because of the rock upon which we are founded (Helaman 5:12). I know that's true, and the Spirit once again witnessed to me and to my heart yesterday that that is true. If we look to Christ, we are supported even as Peter was supported through the storm, wind, and waves.

Last and final question: Father's day thoughts about our Father in Heaven. My thoughts are very simple: He is our perfect example as a father and caretaker. He loves us, no matter what we do. He supports us when we succeed, and He helps us up when we fall down. He is eternally patient, and never gives up on us. We, as His children, must strive more each and every day to be like Him in all that we do, and in everything that we say. So that is my Father's Day testimony: God loves you. He knows you, is cheering for you, and is helping you through every step of your life, especially through the trials and troubles which you face. Don't give up, because He is there for you. He is infinite, and yet He is personal as well. He is YOUR Father, not just our Father in Heaven. He knows you personally and wants to help you become better. So let Him. He's there for you. I know that to be true, because I have seen that in my personal life. And God does not discriminate. Never forget that He loves you.

Anyway, thank you all for being so awesome and enduring to the end of this mission with me. I feel your support and love each and every day. So, I hope this week is incredible for you, filled with God's love.

Am-pitiavagna,
Elder Snell

Here are some pictures of a member family of recent converts which we taught and visited with last Monday. They are awesome, and their kids are adorable.





A really funny picture of a door. Look carefully to see what's funny about the picture.
Pictures of the people who attended the baptism last Saturday.





Then a picture with Andersie and Rita, some cool members I met a while back here in Tana who came to English class last Saturday. Elder Schroedter's the one in the background.
Pictures with Elder Covey and Elder Schroedter, who are going home the day after tomorrow.
Pictures of the places we went today during P-Day. :)