Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

11/09/15- Stay Inside the Barrier

Manakory aby o! It's good to hear from you all and to hear how all of you are doing out there in the real world. I really enjoy hearing from you all, and hope things go well for you all this next week. I found a GREAT computer where I could type fast and download my pictures fast, so that's the reason for the good length of the email. Most of the computers at the cybers don't work that well.

So, my lazy mom didn't ask me any questions this week (just kidding Mom, you know I love you and know that you are the exact opposite of lazy). But, the point is, there were no questions posted this week, so I have to think up stuff myself. But that's okay, because this has been a pretty busy week.

First off, we have been trying to carry out a plan to fix up the current church building, because as of right now, the quality of the church building does not bring the Spirit, but does the exact opposite. So we have been working with headquarters in South Africa as well as coming up with some numbers with regards to expenses of the cost of fixing the building. So that was fun, obviously. Then also, we have been trying to clean out the old missionary home which is now unoccupied, as there used to be eight missionaries working here, but now it's just us three. And, no offense to the previous missionaries, but they didn't do a really good job of cleaning. Sooo, we spent all day last Friday cleaning it. And we're not even halfway done. Also, fun story: the previous missionaries left a TON of stuff with nothing we can do to get rid of it all. But some of the stuff could be useful, like nice blankets and such. So, as missionaries, what do we do? We go out onto the street and grab a handful of people who looked like they could be in need, and brought them back to the house. So, first off, we talked to like six people, to have them come grab stuff from our house. But Malagasies love to gather in groups, even if they have no idea why. So, by the time we got to the house, there are about fifty people following us. Yeah, fifty. At least. So anyway, we bring them to the gate of the house and tell them that only ten or so could go into the house and grab stuff, because it wouldn't be big enough for all of them. They didn't like that. A little bit later, we had the gate locked shut and many Malagasy people banging on it and trying to climb over the gate and into the yard area to try and raid our house of its stuff. Yeah, you could say that we kind of started a mini-riot outside the old missionary house. We had to get the "mayor" who is in charge of the area to go out and talk to them and tell the people to go away and stop trying to break down the wall and gate. So yeah that was pretty crazy.


Anyway, other new stuff... Ummm oh yeah, I've been kind of called to be the unofficial branch pianist. For both branches. So I attend both branches' sacrament meeting and play in both (don't be too happy, Mom, I know you're ecstatic about that). So that's been fun! NOTE FROM MOM: The whole time Hyrum was a young boy, I would tell him that one of the main reasons he needed to stick with piano was so he could be of service on his mission. I have periodically asked throughout his mission and Hyrum hasn't had to play until now! YES, I am thrilled!

But now for some more spiritual things. Like you may see in the pictures, we had the opportunity to watch general conference (finally!) this last weekend. I had many thoughts and insights I gained from it, but the biggest thing that stood out to me was the emphasis on obedience. The prophet and many others all gave talks focused on obedience to the commandments, as well as the blessings that come from our obedience. I particularly liked the talk where the speaker (I cannot remember who it was, sorry) gave the example of the barrier out in the bay. In life, we see massive, incredible waves crashing down just outside the barrier of the gospel commandments. We long to go out there sometimes. We see how fun they would be to ride, which, in all reality, they would be fun. But only for a moment. Quickly after we go over the barrier, the sharks close in (that's Satan, for all of you not following the analogy). They close in, and we quickly realize the reason for the barrier. And then we regret ever crossing it. So, is crossing the barrier and enjoying a few moments of fun worth it? Is it worth the death that will come upon our spirituality if we do so? I don't know about you all, but my personal feeling is that it is a very blatantly obvious "no!" No, it is not worth it to go across the barrier, to break the commandments. I will be honest and say that I have done so in the past, and I have never regretted anything so much in my life. It is not worth it to cross the barrier. So, my counsel for this week is this: STAY INSIDE IT. Stay inside the barrier, and make the most of the many opportunities and liberty and life you get to enjoy if you stay inside. You will still have fun, you will still make memories, you will still have great experiences, but most importantly of all, you won't die. It's very, very simple. So, that's my advice for this week. Stay inside. And stay far away from the boundary. Don't even get close.

Anyway, I hope you all have an awesome week and enjoy the opportunities that come from staying inside the barrier and the protection of the church. I know that it is where we need to be.
I love you all, and thank you for everything you all do. I really appreciate it, and appreciate your emails and concern you send my way.

Am-pitiavana, ary mandra-pihaontsika indray!
Elder Snell


These are all pictures of a hike we went on to the massive Mary statue on the side of the mountain last P-Day.

The stairs leading to our hike.







More pictures of a hike we went on to the massive Mary statue for P-day.





This is our area, and yeah, it's that gorgeous.

The Fianarantsoa area

Pictures from last week's Zone Conference
Elder Razafimandimby and Elder Ralaivao


Elder Rigby and Horspool

This is me and Elder Horspool with his trainee Elder Lake (because Elder Horspool is my mission brother, being trained by Elder Christiansen as well)

Teaching kids how to play duck duck goose.
Jumping rope with the cute Malagasy kids.


This is a picture of a little kid giving me a "dona kely" or fist bump, which every single kid in Madagascar knows how to do.
Pictures of our house which is VERY nice!








Picture of the old missionary house we had to clean.
My great companions who have worn themselves out serving the Lord.