Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Monday, May 2, 2016

05/02/16- The Restoration

Manahoana daholo e! Things are going great here in Madagascar, even though there have been a bunch of changes that have happened as of late. But I don't have a whole lot of time today, so i will go ahead and start into the questions of the week.

First off, the thing that I will always have in my mind of Madagascar is probably the images of the people's houses, especially those of some members in particular. The Gospel is truly for all people, and I have seen it work wonders in the lives of people here, despite incredibly painful trials that they are faced with on a day to day basis. I have met and taught families who literally live in a house made of mud, and live off of less than 3000 Ariary a day (that's less than a dollar). It is ridiculously humbling to live in a situation as this, and those memories will always be imprinted in my mind forever.

Second: our investigators Tiana and Laura are doing great. They didn't come to church last Sunday, which was disappointing, but they have accepted baptismal dates and really understand the importance of our message. Also, when I left this week, they gave me a picture of Christ from their home as a souvenir, even though I only taught them like three times.

That brings me to the third question, with regards to what the most memorable thing was this week. And that would be the fact that I have been transferred already, and I am now working in the 67 Ha area here in the center of Antananarivo. Yeah, it was way unexpected, but that's what President Foote has asked me to do, and so I must obey. I was only in Ambohimena for about four full weeks, which was disappointing, yes, but I'm sure I'll enjoy the work here in the 67 ward (pronounced swahs-on-set, which is sixty-seven in French) with my new companion, Elder Reynolds, who is from New Zealand.

Fourth and final question: my favorite thing to teach people and why. That is, by far, the Restoration and the story of Joseph Smith. When people understand the significance of that event (like our investigators Tiana and Laura), you can see it in their faces, and feel it in the Spirit that enters the room. Whether the investigators feel the Spirit or not, the Spirit is always there when the Restoration and story of Joseph Smith is told and taught. And I love that Spirit and the feeling that comes with it. Also, without the Restoration, I would have no reason to be a missionary, preaching the good news to all the world. The Restoration IS the good news. We are no longer lost, but God has once again established his true, full, and organized church here on earth once again, so that we may be saved and receive eternal life.

Anyway, that's about it for this week. It's been a good one, filled with new stuff and new areas. I'm excited for the new stories that I will have here. Thank you all for being great family and friends, and I hope that you all have a fantastic week!

Am-pitiavana,
Elder Snell

Pretty picture of our area in Antsirabe

These two pictures are of n incredible member family I know and love in the Ambohimena Branch.


Cute kids

Zone meeting in Antsirabe

These next three pictures are of Do, Evalynne, Fenosoa, and Eric, who are all recent converts. (Look at Fenosoa, she cracks me up.)



Two pictures of the Carlton Hotel, where we ate lunch today. WAY NICE...

Our awesome investigators, Tiana and Laura, our the next three pictures.

This series of pictures is an awesome family who we would eat dinner with about once a week. They're way nice and funny and great to talk with.


Our way cool investigators Najoro and Hery, who are on tract to get baptized.

Najoro and Hery's daughter
Manana and Vola, a great progressing couple

Victorine and Rabearison, a hilarious old couple we teach
The kids who work at the small hotely where we always eat lunch in Antsirabe. It's good food, and you can get a filling meal for one dollar. So that's why we go. :P