Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Thursday, May 26, 2016

05/23/16- "Do I Believe This For Me?"

Hey everyone! Not a whole lot of time this week, but I'll try and tell you about my week. It was a pretty great week, and we did a lot of good work out here. We found a whole ton of new investigators and we are excited where a lot of them can go this next upcoming week.

First off, the politics here in Madagascar aren't good, but still decently stable. The leaders of the government don't do a whole lot, and there is a lot of corruption, bribes, and the like. The Malagasy people like to complain to us about how much the government stinks here in Madagascar, but we can't talk a whole lot about that so we usually try to change the subject fairly quickly, though some people go on a long tirade about the government, and we just kind of have to sit there and listen. Ah well. Language practice, right?

Secondly: about one of our investigators or lessons that we had. That would probably be a lesson that we had with our newer investigators Hery and Anta. In the lesson, we were going to cover the Book of Mormon, but some neighbors came in and crashed the lesson, wanting to do nothing more than Bible bash. I'll admit I was a bit upset with the rude interruption of the lesson that would have been great. But, the reason I choose this lesson to talk about is that it actually turned out great. See, the spirit of contention and argument that the neighbors brought in served as a perfect contrast for the real Spirit of truth and power which we later brought into the lesson by refusing to Bible bash with them and simply bear testimony of the truthfulness of the Restoration and of how they all can know for themselves as well, through diligent prayer and the Spirit bearing witness to them of the truthfulness of what we taught. Because that's exactly what we did, and the room just went dead silent, and the Spirit was so strong. I know that they felt it, and felt that what we said was true. And from that point on, there was not a word from the neighbors, but we finished the lesson, Hery and Anta accepted a baptismal invitation, and then we left. And honestly, on the way to our next appointment, I was absolutely giddy with the power of the Spirit we had felt in that lesson. I know that what we bore witness of was true.

Third: the most memorable part of the week. That would either be a split I went on with Elder Tambula from Uganda last Tuesday, which was memorable just because it was a good split and had a lot of good learning/teaching experiences. So, most memorable experience was either that or the Zone Meeting we had this last Thursday. It was great that we were able to focus solely upon honing and improving the work we already are doing in the zone rather than teaching another lesson on obedience to try to help disobedient missionaries straighten their ways. So that was way great, as we focused on teaching effectively and focusing on the goal, rather than just teaching for the heck of it (which, believe it or not, is possible here in Madagascar). So that was also memorable.

Lastly, something that I studied this week. This last week, my studies have been really great. One thing that I really studied into was having faith and a knowledge of its personal application. What I mean by that is this: sometimes we as humans will believe something, like the fact that Christ can cleanse us and help us change. We believe that He can do that for every single person here on earth, and yet we will doubt that for ourselves. So I studied and tried to apply that in my own personal life. I said to myself, "I know and believe that Christ can help all people change, be forgiven, and overcome trials. But do I believe that He can help ME?" This goes right along with the conference talk about the mother flying in a helicopter with her pneumonia-stricken son to the hospital. She asked herself the same question. And I think that every once in a while, we need to ask ourselves that exact question: "Do I believe this for ME?" If we do so on a consistent basis, along with diligent prayer and meditation, then I know that our belief and faith in the miracles God and Christ can perform will be deepened, strengthened, and made personal. I know this to be true because I've done so in my personal life, and have done so even here on the mission. I know this gospel applies to EVERYONE, and that includes me. And you.

Anyway, that's all for this week. I typed fast, so it should be satisfactory to my mom's desires (you're welcome, Mom). :) I hope you all have a wonderful week! Stick to what you feel and believe, and always strive to strengthen that.

Am-pitiavana,
Elder Snell



Some kids from our area

A Korean restaurant that we went to, which was WAY good. We had sweet and sour pork, which was one of the best meals I've had in a while. 

A Taiwanese member who was working here in Madagascar for the weekend and showed up for sacrament meeting. He's from Taichung, and also went on a mission. He's also very very good at English.

Pictures from the split with Elder Tambula. This is his area (Manakambahiny).

Manakambahiny
Elder Tamula's house
Elder Tambula