Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Monday, May 9, 2016

05/15/16- God Guides His Children

Manahoana daholo e! Tafita soa aman-tsara le fanaovana Skype tamin'ny fianakaviako tamin'ny afak'omaly, ka faly be aho niresaka tamin'izy ireo. I really loved the opportunity I had to skype my family the day before yesterday. It's such a great rejuvenating experience for me, and it helps me commit myself to work harder out here on my mission and make not only my Father in Heaven proud, but my family here on earth proud as well, and be worthy of their trust in me.

Anyway, we've got some great questions this week. First of all, the weather. The weather here in Tana is pretty much like Antsirabe. It goes back and forth from hot and cold. In the mornings and nights, it's kind of chilly, but in the middle of the day it's still pretty hot. Not a whole lot of rain, although I did get soaked yesterday in a surprise rainstorm.

Second question: Sunday in my new ward here in 67ha was great. It's soooo nice to work in a fairly solid ward right now. It was great yesterday. They had some pretty great talks given in sacrament meeting. The teacher didn't show up for the investigator/recent-convert class, but they didn't ask the missionaries to jump in and teach it, but had another member step up to the responsibility instead. WAY nice. And then they had a somewhat effective ward council meeting after church, which was something new to me. It did not consist of the branch president or bishop talking the entire time, like most others do, but had a lot of participation from the other auxiliary leaders.

Third question: my mom asked about my observance of how the gospel has helped people become better parents and whatnot. Honestly, though, I think it goes two ways. If you follow the gospel, it will help you become a better, more effective parent. But, being a parent will also help you become a more effective disciple of Christ's gospel. The more we work hard to follow Christ's example in our lives, the more we will become like Him, and every aspect of our lives will improve and progress. Like President Packer has said, "A study of the gospel will change behavior more quickly than a study of behavior will change behavior." So, if you want to improve as a parent, study and apply the gospel. If you want to improve as a disciple of Christ, study and apply the gospel. If you want to become a better person in general or simply improve some aspect of your life, then study and apply the gospel. Some may think that a "one-size-fits-all" answer does not exist, but those who say that don't know God. The gospel is the carefully crafted process for ALL of God's children to improve their lives and become more like Him.
 

And now, lastly, an awesome experience we had this last week. One night, as Elder Reynolds and I were planning, we came to somewhat of a dead end with some less-actives we were going to teach. Elder Reynolds and his previous companion had already taught them many things to try and reactivate them, but nothing seemed to have worked. So, even though we had already prayed to open the planning session, Elder Reynolds and I knelt down once more to ask God for the revelation we needed. Elder Reynolds offered the prayer, and throughout the entire thing I was contemplating what sort of lesson we could do. My mind went through many topics, such as obedience, Sabbath Day, etc. But the problem was, none of them felt right, and my mind never really settled on one single lesson plan we could teach. But then, right at the end of the prayer, my mind came to the topic of the temple and of eternal families. And right then, it was like my mind was opened up, and not closed down anymore. It was almost like a light came into my mind, telling me that that was the lesson these less-actives needed and were supposed to hear. So then Elder Reynolds finished the prayer, and we sat back up. For a second, I just sat there in silence, grateful for the answer I had received, and about to share it with Elder Reynolds, when out of the blue, he said, "I think we should teach them about the temple and eternal families." And I just felt the Spirit so strongly at that point, and I couldn't stop smiling. I told Elder Reynolds that that was exactly the answer I had received as well, even before he had said anything. And so that's what we planned to teach. When we taught them the lesson, it went great, and the Spirit was there. But, in the end, they did not come to church yesterday. However, there is a great sense of peace and the Spirit, knowing that we taught them a lesson that was planned directly by divine revelation, and I know that God guided us in that planning session. God guides His missionaries, when they are willing to listen.

Anyway, thank you for all supporting me in this mission. Believe me, I've felt your prayers and support. I hope you all have an awesome week!

Am-pitiavana,
Elder Snell



The following pictures are of our area here in 67ha. Some of them reflect the dirtiness of the area.





This is me with Elder Obioma  and the picture below is me with Elder Elder Yeagley. They are both going home Wednesday morning. WAY weird, now that some of my good, close friends in the mission are heading home.
Beautiful Rainbows


Our church building here in Tana. WAY nice, and it is MASSIVE. It's actually the stake center for the Manakambahiny Stake here in Tana.
The area map in our house. Note some of the names that missionaries have given the areas on the map.



A selfie Elder Hammer took while I wasn't looking.