Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

07/04/16- Read the Book of Mormon

Hey everyone! I hope you have all had a great week and enjoyed/will enjoy the 4th of July (depending on when you get this email). This week has been awesome and we have seen so many blessings coming through. This work is amazing! But anyway, lots of stuff to talk about, and not a whole lot of time to do so, so we will start answering the questions from my lovely mother who takes so much time and effort and care so send me those each week. Thanks Mom. ;)

Firstly, about the money we live off of here. I live off of 400,000 Ariary a month, which converts to about $120. That pays for toiletries, hair cuts, food, and the cost of using a cyber to email. It's completely doable though, and I usually find myself with money left over at the end of the month. I try to live well below the money I get, because that is so much more money than Malagasies live off of. I don't like feeling like a foreigner on vacation here or something.

Second: the hair cut lady I talked about last week actually doesn't live in our area, so I don't know if she came to church or not. She lives in the Mahamasina area, so I'll have to ask the Elders there if anything came of it. But, if nothing happened, I still feel happy for the knowledge I shared with her. She'll always remember that.

Third question: the ups and downs of the past week. The biggest downs were probably some investigators stopping in their progression. Two of our investigators, both of which are husbands of members, did not come to church yesterday, and one of them has continued to drink fairly heavily and not respect our appointments with him. So that was very, very sad. But, on the bright side, we had a great lesson with the other one yesterday, talking about the temple and its importance for our eternal life, as well as eternal marriage. It was an awesome lesson, and we had Rahalahy Anjaka help us out during that lesson, who is a returned missionary of about eight years and served in the Pocatello, Idaho Mission. Yeah, crazy. But that was awesome. Then, we also had three investigators (Nasolo, Gege, and Miarintsoa) interviewed for baptism yesterday after church and they all passed with flying colors, so they will be baptized this upcoming Saturday! Way excited for them. They will be awesome, and very strong members who will contribute to the ward.

Fourth: the things I will miss most about Madagascar. First and foremost, I will miss the people and friends I have made. The only way I will be able to communicate with them will be through Facebook and maybe Skype, but it's not the same as being here with them in person, talking and laughing with them face to face.... So I will miss that most. Second, I will definitely miss speaking Malagasy. It's so much fun! That's definitely going to be hard to adjust to. Also, it's going to be weird having there be so many white people, and all of them don't speak French. Haha but that's actually a positive thing, so...yeah. Other than that, I will miss the crazy, fast-paced life here. I feel like coming back to America will just be so boring. Ah well.

Last question: my feelings and impressions from personal study. The past week and a half I have been reading the Book of Mormon again in Malagasy because I felt impressed to do so, and I can see the difference and the powerful spirit it has brought into my life. Honestly, I can't explain the difference; it's like night and day. I am currently in Alma chapter 11, and it has really changed the spirit that I feel on a day to day basis. It's not like I didn't have the Spirit before, but now it is literally so powerful and so strong. I would just like to bear witness of how true and powerful the Book of Mormon is, and how we should read it daily. I have been doing so for the past two weeks or so, and it has already changed my life for the better. I know that the Book of Mormon is literally God's words for us. I know that if someone reads and applies the Book of Mormon in their life, they will come closer to God. It's worked for me, and it will work for you. I promise that if you read the Book of Mormon and apply what it teaches you daily, you will come closer to God than by doing any other thing. If you want to change, read the Book of Mormon. If you want a better life, read the Book of Mormon. If you want to know if God is there, read the Book of Mormon. If you're struggling, read it. If you're happy, read it. If you have a trial that you think you can't possibly overcome, read it. I know that it will change your life for the better. So please, please, please, take advantage of it, and read it every day. Take the time to do so, and you will NOT regret it. I know that God works through "small and simple means", and this is the prime example of that. So let God work more in your life, and read it.

Anyway, thank you all for your support. I hope you have a wonderful week, and make the most of the time you have. Choose to make this week what you want it to be.

Am-pitiavana,
Elder Snell

This is someone's house I took a picture of. This house has four rooms, as you can see the four doors. Each door has a different, separate family living in it. So yes, this small house houses four full families... Just think about that.
This is me with Bebe Lillian, one of our members. I had to get a picture with her, just because she's so tiny.

This is me with Elder Mshweshwe from the Manakambahiny area last week on our split.

Me giving a little kid a dona (fist bump)
Here are some cool bottles of sand I bought last P-Day. Yes, it is made completely of sand. I have no idea how they make those pictures. Way cool.

A crazy picture on the wall of our investigator's house.