Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Monday, July 18, 2016

07/18/16- Rely on God

Hey everyone! It has been an awesome week, with some great things happening. Just trying to make the most of the time that I have left!

First off, the lessons we had this week went really well. We had some great progression from some of our investigators, as well as some digression by some of the others.That's always how it is, with ups and downs every step of the way. But some of our newer investigators, such as Jose and Eva, and Michelle, are really progressing well. Michelle especially is progressing well. He said that he has been reading the Book of Mormon often, and loves it. When we taught him this past week, the lessons went really well. I could tell that he was feeling the Spirit. So, overall, the lessons are going great. We had some especially great lessons with our three recent converts who got baptized last Saturday. Definitely an awesome experience for them, and I know that they will make great members.

Second: memorable things that happened this week. Well, first off, we played soccer with all the missionaries here in Tana this morning at a way nice field just outside the city. Super fun. It was the North Zone versus the South Zone (my zone). And, it was a tie. So everyone won! It was great. And then also, besides that, we had a taco party with one of our member families, who are actually all good at English; the mom, dad, and kids. Pretty cool. And then also, there were riots in Analakely last Tuesday, so Tuesday and Wednesday, we had a curfew of being home at dark. But other than that, nothing else happened that was extremely memorable besides doing God's work and spreading the word, which is always memorable.

Third: things I have found to get along with companions. My answer is very simple; communicate. Companions must communicate feelings openly and often, so there are no hidden or hurt feelings. I'm sure those of you who are married can testify of the importance of open communication. In the past, I had just held in some of the things that I thought and felt, and it wasn't good for our companionship. But, when my companion and I are open and honest, things go infinitely better. So, that's my advice: talk with each other!

Last question: thoughts/advice I have gotten from President Foote over the course of my mission that I won't forget and will always remember and apply in my life. That would be two things. The first is something I learned from his teachings, and the second is what I learned from his example. The first thing is to rely upon God in all you do. Don't be afraid to pray, to ask for help and assistance, or to fast for help. We should never hesitate or forget to ask and pray to God for the help and assistance and support that we need. I have tried to apply that more in my mission, and have seen incredible changes in my life and spirituality because of that. The second thing is from President Foote's example, and that is to smile and enjoy life despite challenges, trials, or afflictions. Let me give you some background: President Foote is the presiding authority for eight branches not in a district, and for 2 other districts, each with 5 branches or more. If anything of importance is to be done in those areas, then President Foote is the authority for the decision/action. That's a LOT of stress, especially with how much traveling that means, because none of those branches/districts are within a three-hour travel radius of where he lives, some of which are only reachable by airplane. And yet despite all that, he always smiles and says that he has the best life ever. Happiness and joy is a decision you make based upon your faith. So make the right decision. I have tried to do so, and seen great changes in my life because of it.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all that you have done. You are all incredible, and I wish a great week to come for all of you.

Am-pitiavana,
Elder Snell


A satchel a member gave me for my birthday!

Some Souvenirs
Pictures of cute twins from the taco party

Taco Party
Pictures from the top of our church




Two cute little beggar girls who always say good night to us and give us donas, but never ask or beg. They're awesome.
Pictures from P-day and soccer