Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

07/11/16- His Love Surrounds Me

Hey everyone!!! First and foremost, thank you all for sending birthday wishes and everything. I really appreciate it and feel your love and support for me. You're all awesome! Secondly, this was a pretty great week, even though we didn't teach as many people as we would have liked to. But that's the mission. There are ups and downs and everything in between.

Firstly, the only medication they will have me take when I go home is "the pill" which will pretty much push the "restart" button on my digestive system. So Mom, just saying sorry beforehand, I may be in the bathroom for a while when I get home.

Second, about the "My Plan" program for returning missionaries. Honestly, I have no idea what that is... So I'll say no, Madagascar has not adopted that quite yet. I have actually not even heard about that yet out here, except for maybe a few friends on missions who mentioned it briefly.

Third question: fun stuff done to celebrate my birthday. As for me personally, I didn't do anything special. But, our ward mission leader and ward missionaries threw a small birthday party for me, which was awesome. They even made a really good cake as well. And then we had the classic rice and laoka for dinner with them all, which was coconut chicken with beans and ground beef. WAYYY good. But don't worry, there are lots of pictures that I will send from the party. Some of the ward missionaries stole my camera during the party and took a ton of pictures of everyone and the food and stuff. So yeah. :P

Fourth question: the baptisms went great! I was kind of disappointed with how many people showed up, because it was kind of a small turn out, but the actual baptisms went really well. I was especially impressed with Miarintsoa's testimony that she gave after the baptism. She truly has asked God if this is true, and gotten an answer. It brought an amazing spirit, and I know that she will be a super strong member. The other two guys gave great testimonies as well, but her's was particularly powerful.
Next question: other things that stuck out from this week... Well, one sad thing is that our investigator Bary has now found work and will be building a five-star hotel on a small island off the coast of Sambava, which is north eastern Madagascar. And he won't be coming back until December. So that was one thing that was hard for us. But he says that he will continue to read the Book of Mormon and everything, so I hope he stays true to that. We also had Zone Meeting on last Thursday, which went really well. Other than that, no real comments about this week.

Last question: the time when I have felt closest to God on my mission. It would be hard to pinpoint a single experience or time when I felt closest to God, but it is the kind of experience or situation in which I have felt God's love and closeness repeatedly that I think would best express my feelings on that question. And honestly, the times when I have felt closest to God are the times when I have been in the most distress, or struggling the most. Because it is in those times--when it feels like my heart will rip apart, or when I can't do this anymore--it is in those times that I have felt closest to God. Because in those times, I feel His love surrounding me and enveloping me. When I struggle the most is when I feel God the most. I know that may sound weird, but it is the truth. I know that God supports those who are faced with trials and tribulations, because that's what He's done for me, when I have faced trials and challenges of every kind out here in the mission field. I feel God's love when I pray to Him, and I know that He will support me, and you, throughout all the many trials that we face.

Anyway, thank you all again for your love and support. I hope you have an incredible week and enjoy your summer!

Am-pitiavana,
Elder Snell

These are pictures from our recent converts house with their adorable little baby that they call "rafotsy" which is a pet name for a grandma, usually...



A little alleyway filled with trash

One of our investigators
This is a picture of a little girl who lives with some of our investigators. She is ADORABLE!

My new suit

The Baptism


The following pictures are from the birthday party the Ward Mission Leader and Ward Missionaries threw for me. They got me in the face with some of the cream from the cake.... :P Also, I'd say about a good third of them are passable at English. Pretty impressive. So they sang Happy Birthday in English. Didn't get a video of that though... Also, sorry if some of the pictures are kind of dark. The lighting there wasn't that good. They had like one old incandescent lightbulb in the middle of the ceiling and that was it. Sooo yeah, sorry.