Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

8/28/14- First Email Home from MTC!


Dear Fianakaviako sy Nama (family and friends),
The MTC has been absolutely incredible so far! When I first got here, they rushed me through super fast and helped me get all my stuff. What was really cool though was that I was able to have the pleasure of having Elder Jake Hogan be my host to show me the ropes of the place, so that was a really fun experience.
Now, to answer the questions:
1. The language is coming incredibly. The gift of tongues is SO real. I have already been able to give five lessons in Malagasy to our "investigator" Rakoto Jean (who is actually one of our teachers, but it's probably fine), two of which I didn't even use notes for.
2. I'm getting along fairly well with my companion. It's a little hard because we are TOTAL opposites. In high school he was the kind of kid who sluffed at least one class a day and enjoyed being disobedient, and still kind of is. But he can still buckle down and work hard, so it's going better than I would expect a situation like this to go. Plus we get along well, so I'm grateful to Heavenly Father for that.
3. Yes, most of the Malagasy Missionaries are quite hard working and fairly obedient, but everyone has their struggles, some more than others. But generally, we get a lot done and learn the language quite quickly.
4. The thing I love most about the MTC is the Spirit. It is SUPER strong here, and that is such an incredible blessing. I love being able to spend time with 2,000+ other missionaries, all serving the Lord.
5. I have definitely seen miracles already, most of which involving the language. Like I said previously, I have been able to teach five lessons, all completely in Malagasy. NO ENGLISH AT ALL. And they've gone quite smoothly. It's a weird feeling teaching in a language you didn't know a single word in only a week before.
6. I LOVE Elder Evans and Elder Mack. Elder Mack has been made our District Leader, and is by far the hardest working of the bunch. And Elder Evans is so diligent and passionate about the gospel, it is just incredible the example that he is to me. They are both probably my two best friends in our district (which is all the Madagascar missionaries, 12 of us in all).
7. We are actually leaving on September 29, and arriving on the first of October. And like I said, there are twelve elders leaving with us at that time. No sisters are going, though I've heard there's already a fair amount out there.
8. The food here is good and bad. The good part is that it tastes quite well and there's a lot of it. The bad part is that it is all really unhealthy and makes me feel sick almost every time I eat it. :/ But it's okay, it's not really that big of a deal, I'm a big boy and can live with it. I'm trying to eat healthier (you're welcome, Mom) so I can feel more energetic and healthy.
9. I realized that we forgot to pack shower soap, like for shaving and washing. But it's okay, they had some at the MTC Bookstore, so I got some there. Don't worry mom. ;)
10. Yes, we do get to go to the temples on our Thursday P-days. I just went this morning. It's a really cool feeling being able to attend an endowment session with fifty plus other missionaries, elders and sisters.
11 (last question). Yes, I have used some money. Like I said, I bought some soap. I also have bought a few other odds and ends that help make life at the MTC a bit easier.
Anyway, I love you all, and life at the MTC is going great!!! I hope you are all doing well. I know this church is true, and that I am doing the Lords work.
Sincerely,
Elder Hyrum Snell

I love all you guys, and hope everything is going fantastically!




My District at the Provo Temple