Elder Hyrum Snell

Elder Hyrum Snell

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

9/25/14- Last letter from the MTC!

September 25, 2014

Manahoana fianakaviana sy namana ho an'ny fotoana farany ao amin'ny MTC! (Hello friends and family for the last time at the MTC!)
I hope you all are doing well! Things are going really well here at the MTC, and it's been a good experience for me, but I am no sad in the least that I will be leaving this Monday. Speaking of which, I received my flight plans and they go as follows: From SLC to Dallas (five hour layover), from Dallas to London (six hour layover), from London to Johannesburg South Africa (three hour layover), and then finally from Johannesburg to Antananarivo, Madagascar! I should be actually getting to Madagascar sometime this coming Wednesday. As far as baggage goes, they allow two 50 pound check-on bags, one 50 pound carry-on bag, and a "personal item" (a satchel or whatever). And FYI, Mom, I will NOT go over on any of my bags. It's too expensive. It's an extra $50 for every TWO pounds over the weight limit. Besides, I don't even have enough stuff to make it worth paying for that, as I can easily keep it under those weight limits. So I will be fine as far as that goes.
Anyway, this week has gone quite well. We've been teaching an "inactive member" (again, one of our teachers) named Jean Pierre. The reason he went inactive is because his seven-year-old daughter died a while ago, despite his pleas to God to save her. And so he lost faith. Because of that, we've been focusing on the fact that, through the gospel, he can see his daughter again and live with her in a state of eternal happiness and joy. That really hits him hard because of his situation, and I feel we are making large improvements with his conversion to the gospel. I try my best to bear my testimony as sincerely as possible to help him realize how true the fact is that he can not only see his daughter again, but he can live with her again and hug her and care for her once more. That's something that has helped me personally gain a testimony of this gospel, knowing that death is not the end, but really just a beginning. Death is actually the gateway that can take us onward into a world better than the one we currently live in, through our faithfulness and obedience to the commandments and covenants we have. What a wonderful promise that is. We can live with those we love for ETERNITY. Our relationships don't end with death, but continue on forever. I can't think of anything more comforting and happy than the knowledge that I will get to spend eternity with those I love.
Anywho, fun fact: we've had two members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles come to the MTC and speak to us over the past two weeks. Last week was Elder Richard G. Scott, who gave a great talk on prayer and receiving the things we need from it. And this week Elder M. Russell Ballard came and had an awesome discussion on making the most of the time we have and doing our best, not only out in the mission field but for the rest of our lives. Both were incredible talks and built my testimony of the fact that they are chosen apostles of Christ and God.
All in all, it has been a great experience here at the MTC. I've really enjoyed learning the language and developing myself as a missionary. I would like to thank everyone for their support, as it has been immense and wonderful. You are all such incredible family and friends. I love you all!!!

Signing off until Madagascar,
Elder Hyrum Snell
Elder Ady (a friend I made here from Roosevelt, Utah) and me outside the temple

A bunch of missionaries from my zone.

Elder Mack and me posing outside the temple.

Two Davis High Elders (Elders Rusnell and Libby)

Aussie Elder Arthur and me at the temple (he recently left for Indonesia, and should be there by now)
My missionary tag